• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I ordered a Foraging Carousel for Clopin last night. :)

Foraging Carousel - Foraging Toys - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia

Have any of you used one before?

It looks perfect for smaller beaks and feet! :) I always have such a difficult time finding Clopin foraging toys like these since it seems like most foraging toys are designed for medium to large birds.

I also ordered one of these for her.

Along with the chipboard boxes that need to be used with these.

Anyone have experience with these for the smaller birdies?

I'm hoping she'll like them! :)

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I've got the foraging carousel in with my grey. One of his must have toys. I put one in with my Ekkie but he didn't have much idea of what to do. i think they're great, just depends on the individual bird as to how quickly they click to it.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
My girls have the chipboard boxes with holder. They like it but they never have torn the whole thing open. They just get the food they can from the small openings. Maybe someday they will really tear into it! :)

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I have both for Danny but have yet to try them - that's for once we're in the new house :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The 'toos destroyed the ones I got them. Pua my RLA Loves these foraging toys!

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
My white fronted amazon LOVES the foraging carousel. I use it as an interactive activity with him rather than just leaving it in the cage. It's also small and easy enough for the GCC to use, so I think you'll definitely have fun with it.

I also have the creative foraging systems boxes for all of my birds. Everyone from the budgies to the YNA use it. I love the chipboard boxes but find them too pricey. However, oversized index cards can be folded and inserted to the smaller-size foraging boxes. So I buy them in 200 packs from the dollar store, fold them into the foraging toy, then stuff them with shredded paper, timothy hay, or other fun materials for the birds to pick through to find treats instead of buying the chipboard. It's not quite as nice but it works for those of us on a tight budget.

Linda

Strolling the yard
For my smaller birds I make my own foraging boxes. The girls at work save me the small cereal boxes from the residents breakfast trays. I fill them with paper and treats and the are demolished in no time.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I've thought about getting one of those for Jasper. I really like the hard plastic foraging toys- most of them are really easy to use, clean, and you can stuff them with things other than the 'recommended (expensive)' and they still work great.

goofygreenbird

Meeting neighbors
Can anyone recommend a good online store in the US to buy the Creative Foraging System toys? I looked online, and I thought I found a good site (theperchstore.net) only to find out there was a complaint against them. I haven't found the CFS products in any of my local pet stores, and I've been eyeing them for quite a while for my Ekkie to curb his feather picking. He has other toys, but even the treasure chest is too easy for him and he gets bored pretty quickly, so I'm hoping this will keep him interested.

Thanks!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
You're wise not to shop at ThePerchStore.

This shop is awesome and helped out many people that were affected by ThePerchStore - Foraging and Interactive Toys . It's even owned by a Vet :eek:

They have all the CFS toys. :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Can anyone recommend a good online store in the US to buy the Creative Foraging System toys? I looked online, and I thought I found a good site (theperchstore.net) only to find out there was a complaint against them. I haven't found the CFS products in any of my local pet stores, and I've been eyeing them for quite a while for my Ekkie to curb his feather picking. He has other toys, but even the treasure chest is too easy for him and he gets bored pretty quickly, so I'm hoping this will keep him interested.

Thanks!
Have you tried the turn and learn logs or the rings of fortune with him yet? Jasper's got the treasure chest and snack rack down pat, but the other two he's got to work at still.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I don't keep the foraging carousel in the cage. Those four holes on the corners are too big and they can put their heads in = not good. i was disappointed to see that because there are so few well designed toys that keep bird safety in mind out there and i was hoping CFS was one of them...

goofygreenbird

Meeting neighbors
Sharpie, thank you for the recommendation of the rings of fortune and the log toys! I have been eyeing those too and thought that they would be good foraging toys for Chucky, but was afraid to order them since I didn't know if anybody liked them. It sounds like they keep Jasper's attention for a while so that is a good sign. And thank you Steve for the link to the online store! I see that the link also includes the toys that Sharpie mentioned so I have a feeling I'll be picking up a few things. Hopefully it will keep Chucky busy enough. Sometimes I think he's a lazy bird. If it takes too long, he tends to give up. He surprised me with the treasure chest because it took him forever to be interested in it (he would try to shake it open by brute force, then give up), and then one day he figured it out, and now it takes him two seconds to open it up! :D

Good point on the carosel, Saroj. I will keep that in mind when ordering!

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
It's good to know that some of you have had success with the things I bought! :D

I hope the foraging carousel isn't too big for Clopin! She is about the size of a GCC (just not as... "plump"? :p)

Do any of you have any good foraging ideas or toys for lorikeets? They are super hyperactive and they have the attention span of a log. I've been giving them lots of native blossoms and foot toys with treats in them since they can hold and play with these easily. However, I don't think intricate toys (like the carousel) will hold their attention.

They are also not big chewers so the chipboard boxes probably won't be a hit either.

I'll try out the foraging tray with them and see what they think. :) Any other ideas?

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Kelsey - I have similar foraging problems with Kai! It's hard to put fresh food items (pears, papaya etc) in a lot of the foraging toys. I'm personally a fan of stuffing the Holee Rollers with goodies. They're washable and not difficult at all to use! I've also used a Lixit bath as a foraging tray and use the skewers. To make the skewers a little more interesting, I'll wrap them in a large lettuce leaf so he has to break into that to get to his treats.

I'm really interested in trying the Carousel for Kai.. I think I might. :)

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
we got the carousel for Piper & she loves it! haven't tried the boxes but may have to, she loves shredding stuff, especially boxes....

Status
Not open for further replies.