• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging and Play Things for Budgies

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of stuff for larger birds so I'm wondering for those who have budgies here, how do you keep them entertained when they're in the cage?

I'm still learning what toys/materials Preeno is inclined to. At the moment she just likes shredded paper, raffia and those twig ball things! I've got some loofah that I plan to turn into toys soon.

For foraging, I usually prepare a tray covered with various items.

She's just got a larger cage so I'm looking for things to fill it up with!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I made little stars with treats in for my parrotlets to chew up. Maybe you could do something similarceith the loofah? Let me find the video!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My budgies don't really forage, but I like putting millet ontop of their cage so they have to climb on the ceiling to get to it. Balsa and yucca wood are great for keeping them busy in my experience.
Oh, they do enjoy a plate or dish with toys and shredded paper and seeds! But that is usually outside the cage!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
My hen Bubbles doesn't really love foraging either. I got those paper boxes filled with shredded paper and she kind of chewed on one end and ignored it after. I even put some oat groats in it and she nope'd out of digging or them. Females typically love anything they can shred, but I've noticed my bird prefers certain textures. She LOVES soft balsa cubes, sola, and those bird "kabob" things sold at most pet stores. It's a round disk shape and shreds when they pick at it. I take them apart and stick a perch through the string hole and she goes bananas. I've also found she doesn't like stuff to swing and move around, much prefers her shred-able stuff to be anchored down to a perch or treat clip on side of cage. Why? Who knows... maybe she can get "maximum shred" from it vs. a hanging shred toy. I also bought a straw spiral cutter and will sometimes make a bunch for them to play with. She likes chewing on the spiral cut straws.

clarousel

So interesting to see how varied their behaviours are! I'm gonna explore textures and see what she likes.

Don't know if it's just me but Preeno LOVES my phone... she's like a toddler addicted to a gadget...

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Nah, it's not just you. Corky was addicted to the back of my computer! Although I think thats because it has a little reflection there...... So I taped a piece of paper there, and now he's fond of chewing the sides of the screen :rolleyes:
Which is why he's not really allowed on the table anymore

clarousel

Nah, it's not just you. Corky was addicted to the back of my computer! Although I think thats because it has a little reflection there...... So I taped a piece of paper there, and now he's fond of chewing the sides of the screen :rolleyes:
Which is why he's not really allowed on the table anymore

Preeno loves my laptop keyboard! She'll attack the cover before settling down for a snooze :wacky: