• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging and fun games for elderly cockatiel

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Currently caring for my grandma's 18 year old cockatiel, she's never had many toys or fun activities throughout her life. So far I've set up the lid of a box and filled it with Timothy hay (the same kind my rabbit eats) I've hidden seeds and small wooden toys underneath the hay.
So far she hasn't figured out there are seeds under the hay, but she is very interested in preening and chewing the hay.
I'm gonna also offer her some of my rose branches from my bushes after I cut the thorns off because most birds I've worked with enjoy that.

Any other fun activities or toys that could help her learn how to have fun?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Something simple is just to weave some paper through the cage bars for her to chew. Tiels normally love to shred. Even my new 30 year old foster who I was told doesn't like toys has been chewing on the paper. I usually just take those thicker paper inserts they stick in magazines (not scented, of course, and not the glossy ones), fold it like you would a fan and weave it through a few bars. Also, finger traps stuffed with crinkle paper are often a hit with tiels.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does she have lots of things to climb? Mine like ropes, ladders and play stands for keeping busy.