• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging and chewing diys for small birds!

SharFully

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sharona
I try to make my toys as much as I can by myself. Sadly, my lovebird is a little picky or simply doesn't know how to use things. I do try to show her but she's not interested?

She does love her foraging box!
IMG_20210327_102251_366.jpg
And she does enjoy shredding paper.

I made noisy bell toys, bought her one as well and so far - nothing. She saw me play with a bell ball once and sometimes she shows interest in it, but eh.

IMG_20210320_123335_200.jpg
She does like this one as well, but not as much.

I'm trying to find more ways to enrich her life. She is still growing her self-esteem, which got damaged after her last wing clipping (won't be done again, new bird mom and I didn't know. They said it was good to do it...) when she falls after a flight attempt her pride gets hurt too and stays in her cage for a day or two before trying again to explore.

She is not a veggie fan yet, nor fruit. She doesn't like new foods at all. But she enjoys sprouts. Not an easy bean xD! But new ideas are always welcome!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Love those toys! I've tried similar things, and Sunni seems to know exactly which toys are from the store and which ones I made myself. Of course, he avoids the ones I make. He does love the palm stars, maybe you could give those a try. I think they run like 50 cents each mostly, A Bird Toy (one of our vendors) sells them. Everywhere I look, I think their toy parts are cheapest. You do have to pay for shipping, but if your order is big enough it's totally 100% worth it. I think there's also a discount for AA members but I don't know if it's still available. I'm sure it says on some thread on here.

SharFully

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sharona
Love those toys! I've tried similar things, and Sunni seems to know exactly which toys are from the store and which ones I made myself. Of course, he avoids the ones I make. He does love the palm stars, maybe you could give those a try. I think they run like 50 cents each mostly, A Bird Toy (one of our vendors) sells them. Everywhere I look, I think their toy parts are cheapest. You do have to pay for shipping, but if your order is big enough it's totally 100% worth it. I think there's also a discount for AA members but I don't know if it's still available. I'm sure it says on some thread on here.
Which vendor is that? I'm from the Netherlands, which in my case might not be available or Hella expensive. But I would love to have a look got vendors!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I like to offer DIY foraging trays for my budgies to play in. For the bigger trays, I buy those big saucers that go under potted plants. You can buy them at garden stores or Home Depot. They are big and shallow. I fill them with loose timothy hay and mix in seeds, herbs, edible flower, dried bugs, and other goodies for the birds to discover.

In smaller trays, I will offer interesting seed mixes, egg food, or other random supplements, like kelp granules or bee pollen or mineral clay.

It encourages the birds to move around the aviary in search of their favorite treats and keeps them busy hunting for the last seed.

20210131_114901.jpg 20200703_095502.jpg 20210111_123534.jpg 20210103_143613.jpg 20210111_123435.jpg

I rotate the offerings frequently, so they never know exactly what they will find.

The hay is available at most pet stores in the small animals section. If using this style of foraging tray indoors,I would recommend buying a big saucer and a smaller saucer. Fill the smaller saucer with hay or shredded paper and put it in the bigger saucer to catch any spills.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I try to make my toys as much as I can by myself. Sadly, my lovebird is a little picky or simply doesn't know how to use things. I do try to show her but she's not interested?

She does love her foraging box!
View attachment 378097
And she does enjoy shredding paper.

I made noisy bell toys, bought her one as well and so far - nothing. She saw me play with a bell ball once and sometimes she shows interest in it, but eh.

View attachment 378098
She does like this one as well, but not as much.

I'm trying to find more ways to enrich her life. She is still growing her self-esteem, which got damaged after her last wing clipping (won't be done again, new bird mom and I didn't know. They said it was good to do it...) when she falls after a flight attempt her pride gets hurt too and stays in her cage for a day or two before trying again to explore.

She is not a veggie fan yet, nor fruit. She doesn't like new foods at all. But she enjoys sprouts. Not an easy bean xD! But new ideas are always welcome!
That cardboard toy, if she eats sunflower seeds you can stuff those in the little holes.