• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For Those Who Want to Inform Others About 'THAT VENDOR"

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I was on Facebook for something and somehow ended up on Beaks and Feathers rescue and saw this. I makes me very sad that someone who lost 11 bird to an unknown something would endorse this company without research and only hearsay. If any of you want to inform her of your personal experiences and show her some evidence, I say go ahead.

I responded to her rant and she is stubbornly sticking by Martha - even though she has never fed any of her foods.

Birds and Beaks Rescue and Rehab
2 hrs ·
Drama Alert:

It’s come to my attention that there’s a group of people on the internet using my name and my rescue’s name to tear down a small business. I’m going first explain to you the situation, and then I’m going to tell you why you should go support that small business right this minute.

And then I’m going to lay into all you GODDAMN bird people for being so evil to each other, again, and I’m going to make an excellent case for why you should get your actual shizz together and support and love one another, for the love of all that’s holy.
:)

Apparently, some people had some beef with Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies, a small birdfood maker out of Illinois. The complaint was that birds were getting sick after eating the food. A gal called me about this because of what happened here with Zupreem, and the hub-bub online about it, to ask for how to go about testing.

I told her the same thing I’ll tell anyone:

If you suspect a food is causing illness and/or death, get it documented. Create a paper trail. Start with your vet. Get a diagnosis or a necropsy, and if you go with necropsy because of death, go for histopathology with toxicology.

You are looking for a needle in a haystack. It will be very difficult to prove, if you can at all. For us, after 2 batches of food were tied to the deaths of a whole lot of birds across the US, the FDA came in as inconclusive for us all. They couldn’t prove it was, they couldn’t prove it wasn’t.

So that’s what I told the gal on the phone when she called to ask. Get yourself a paper trail, and then start with the Department of Agriculture to test the food against your vet’s diagnosis or the histo.

At this time, as far as I’m aware, there have been no necropsies. There have been no diagnoses, there have been zero things submitted to the food maker or the Dept. of Ag, or anyone else about Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies causing issue.

What has become quite apparent though, is that there’s personal beef happening. And, that has no place in a scientific investigation. Personal beef isn’t poisonous to birds.

And it sure the HE double hockey sticks doesn’t have anything to do with the very real deaths of 11 birds here at this rescue on January 1, 2018.

I am angry. I’m actually VERY angry that my name is being used to harm another human being.

I’ve never used food from Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies. Therefore, I can’t endorse it, nor can I tear it down. I’ve seen no evidence whatsoever, not even hearsay of birds dying like in our situation (where we got multiple calls/day until those two batches of that food were finally gone off shelves in stores, and the Dept of Ag was regularly collecting dead bodies after those bodies ate that food).

What I can say is that after talking with Marsha over at Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies for an hour this morning, I am fairly confident that if something went awry, or there was a suspicion of issue with a batch of her food, she would absolutely take responsibility for that quickly because she doesn’t want your animals dying any more than you do. It’s not like she had 7 tons of this stuff out. She makes tiny batches and is easily able to track what went where, so if she needed to do a recall, it would be as simple as emailing and calling a small group of people.

Which leads us to the next part of this – the person who called me and is posting my name on behalf of this witch hunt – isn’t even one of her clients. That person has never bought any food from her or anything. She’s leaving Yelp and Google reviews and reached out to the BBB to complain about food her animals have not even consumed. I know this to be true as both Yelp and BBB removed the review.

Let me clue you guys in on a little secret: Marsha and her husband just quit their jobs to really ramp up this business. They just signed a 2 year lease on their building to make this business the American Dream.

And because a few people are complaining with no bodies, no diagnoses, vet records – literally nothing – they’re about to lose it all.

Marsha is going to send me a box of food to review. And I’m going to feed it. I’ll do a video review.

I am sick to my stomach that a new small business could fail and my name could be tied to it in any way.

I DO NOT support tearing down a company for no reason.

As such – I ask that you support them. Help build them back up. I’ll get that review as soon as we receive the food. In the meantime, go show her your support.

And to you bird people, listen up:

You have GOT to stop tearing each other apart. You have to. I’ve never met such a giant group of people so eager to rip each other to shreds. Last year, it was me you were doing it to. You thought I was being dramatic because I (not you, ME) lost 11 birds in one night. A rescue east lost 5. One south lost 8. There were birds peppered across the US.

Want a little secret? Ready? After the FDA came back as inconclusive, I live trapped 3 sets of mice. In one I fed the Higgins from that bag in my freezer. Mice were still alive the next morning. In one I fed the LeFeber’s, and those mice were alive the next morning. The one with the Zupreem? All mice were dead in that live trap the next morning.

You read that right – I used mice lives, because I needed to know for certain. I wasn’t wrong. I can’t prove it with a definitive toxin, and neither could the FDA. Maybe it’s a big fat coincidence? No? (Shrugs) Doesn’t matter now because there’s nothing to do about it. It was never about money, it was always about getting that shizz off the shelves, and now it’s expired and gone, so it is what it is.

You people tore me apart online, you gave death threats, you urged me to kill myself, you invited people into my home to steal animals to get them safe, you called my family bird murderers and suggested that I killed my birds for some mythical payout. All because you had some weird brand loyalty for something we had a paper trail on.

And now, now you’re doing it in opposite to a gal who is just trying with all her might to live the American dream.

STOP IT.

We all have the same common goal, which is to take care of these birds to the very best of our abilities. If you’re forcing people out of the hobby because you need to feel superior and powerful, it hurts birds in the end.

Go order up some Unapproved Vendor’s Dailies, and have a great day.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Seems a bit hypocritical to me that someone who lost birds and railed on Zupreem for months, can turn around and say "well unless you can prove it, all you're doing is hurting the company." Is it okay because she took on a big company, where WD is just a small outfit? Where does she get off telling people that they shouldn't do the exact thing that she did?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
. . .she really needs to read that thread then with all the reports of sick animals and dying animals at another rescue.

People need to copy their original posts here over on her site. Including her legal records, the post by Windy City Parrots (I think) and the picture of the Great Value powdered peanut butter.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
. . .she really needs to read that thread then with all the reports of sick animals and dying animals at another rescue.
At the end of the day she's getting a free box of food from them.
Can anyone link me to any info regarding the zupreem issue? Although I'm not directly involved with all this I still feel I should know about it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@painesgrey You are right and in addition after losing the birds and everything she went through she is telling people to buy the WD without testing or evaluating it.

Lets keep in mind that the real villain and super-expert con-artist is MM not Shannon.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Can anyone link me to any info regarding the zupreem issue? Although I'm not directly involved with all this I still feel I should know about it.

Here is the original post on their facebook. I didn't participate in any of it, but watched because I feed my birds Zupreem and wanted to know what the results were. They were inconclusive, from what I understand. Though Higgins did put out a statement saying that the necropsy results showed the cause of death "as acute intoxication by either exposure to an aerosolized toxin or possible exposure to an ingested toxin, like an organophosphate or organochlorine pesticide."

Using trapped mice and feeding them bad food?

I just saw this too.. I'm curious what the results were?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Here is the original post on their facebook. I didn't participate in any of it, but watched because I feed my birds Zupreem and wanted to know what the results were. They were inconclusive, from what I understand. Though Higgins did put out a statement saying that the necropsy results showed the cause of death "as acute intoxication by either exposure to an aerosolized toxin or possible exposure to an ingested toxin, like an organophosphate or organochlorine pesticide."

I just saw this too.. I'm curious what the results were?
She said the mice died!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
{Jaw falls to the floor.}
MM will send her a 'perfect' box of food that she will have painstakingly made certain has been elevated.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well...good luck to her getting her free food sample. I don't know if anyone got their promised free sample :shifty:
She will send to impress. I am sure of this. More business from the rescues followers.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Urg!! This whole thing makes me sick :darkcloud:
@Hankmacaw I saw you left a comment on Facebook but now I can't find it. I'm not sure but I think it might have been removed. I hope I'm wrong

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really don't know what's going on. I feed Zupreem Natural large bird to my U2 and B&G Macaw. Any info would be appreciated.

I didn't like that she was very careful not to swear, but took the Lord's name in vain.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I really don't know what's going on. I feed Zupreem Natural large bird to my U2 and B&G Macaw. Any info would be appreciated.

I didn't like that she was very careful not to swear, but took the Lord's name in vain.

The Zupreem "issue" was January 2018 and was only specific lots of Fruity I don't even think are available now. I've been feeding Zupreem without issues.

The vendor in question in this thread is covered here

Vendor Etiquette? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum