• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For Those Who Say or Think "My Parrot Hates Me"

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yup, my grandma's cockatiel is exactly like that. He's a super sweet boy, but a visitor might think he's mean. Yet he will take millet from my hand and seems to perk up when I'm near him, but also runs away from an empty hand and will try to bite if you push his boundaries. You can tell he's kind of afraid of hands. After babysitting him for a while I'm sure my grandma will be able to earn his trust and he will probably be able to step up at some point (right now it's almost impossible to get him back into his cage once he's taken out, because although he takes millet in the cage he won't step up for it and he doesn't go back to his cage on his own, either (despite food, water and toys). I can imagine even less my grandma being able to put him back in on her own.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I liked this post and I think it's so relevant to people rehoming pets in general. They say 'oh they didn't like me or they didnt do much etc' but this living creature isnt obligated to amuse you! It takes time to understand what that pet needs from you to create a relationship. People like to project human traits to animals.
Like my roommate often says that my pets don't like him. But that isn't true, what's true is I've put a lot of time and effort into building a relationship with my pets and you have not, so no my bird won't just let you pet her or my dog wont get as excited to see you come home.
I also feel people don't look into the cause of a behaviour enough. Behaviour gives us huge insight into what a pet is thinking and feeling!

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Beautiful thoughts on hate and pride.

Pretty much nailed it.

Old souls around here...star seeds.. Oops.

Just my thoughts on two main reasons that birds are aggressive to their flock members.

One, they don't hate, most are just hand raised and human imprinted wich I have always been against and are super horney and confused like any intelligent being that wants sex and can't get it.

Two, they see something in or around that person that they do not like.

Yes, like a cat can see and run off a jinn, these birds also see and sense what our minds and the veil will not allow..at least at this point.

I'm not saying a person with a bad bird is a bad person, however the above two contribute to bad behavior in any animal.

I'm not in my twenties anymore but I also get the desire at the third equinox of the moon cycle to hit momma over the head with the club or I grow fur.

Millions in shelters we don't want them to breed!

Well welcome to the world of horney birds that are being denied their natural instincts because of the lack of commitment by others and human emotions saying oh too many so they should live alone without another like themselves.

Better not put me on an island without a mate as I would become wild and mean and it would not be a good island to pull anchor on...lol

One love