• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For those of you that make your own toys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
Check out this website I found-
Free Scrap

Here's what it says on their website:
Scrap is clean, unsanded scrap. It is made up of cut-offs and remainders from the regular manufacture of blocks. There may be some knots, inclusions or defects. However, it is all unfinished Hard Maple and has no chemicals or coatings. It is not intended for toys and has not been tested to comply with CPSIA legislation. It is particularly useful for bird owners and other pet owners using it for chew toys The scrap comes right off the line and is made up of whatever we are cutting at the time. It has the same profile as our regular blocks, planks, and dowels - but may be of uncertain length or shape. A box of sanded scrap is a lot of fun in the right hands, is completely unique, and is cheap. The picture of scrap is a picture of a bag we opened your batch will look different.

Great stuff for artists, teachers, schools, or anybody else that hankers to make wooden crafts from hard maple scrap. We pack a 12" by 12" by 12" inch box with scrap (un-sanded). It contains defective blocks, unsorted block stock, plank stock, round stock and other cut-offs and trim we have left over from making blocks. This totals about 20 lbs. Every box is different. You pay the shipping costs plus $4.95 for the box and handling.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
This is wonderful wood. I run down and pick up scraps from Alex and Sandy, (Barclay) several times a year.

But, please be very careful. This is called American ROCK maple for a reason. It truly is as hard as a rock. If you are cutting it, be very careful and be prepared to replace your saw blade frequently, if you cut very much.

Also, do not hold this with your hands when drilling. Use a sturdy pair of dykes, or even better a secure clamp, and brace yourself, it is difficult to drill, particularly if over 3/4". The drill will pull it out of your hands and it will cut your hand like a razor blade. (I speak from experience). You will have your best luck with a sturdy drill press and a new drill bit. Replace bits frequently, as this maple will dull them quickly.

Any pieces that you receive that come to a point, or have cut edges will need to be sanded, as the cut edge on this wood is extremely sharp and can slice a birdie face (or your hand) wide open.

I have hurt myself too many times working with this wood, so now my husband does all the cutting and drilling. He has cut himself up pretty good a couple of times, as well... but, we don't worry about him. :) We use a bandsaw to cut it to a thickness of 3/4", and then sand all edges. It is much easier to drill, and the birds are less discouraged.

That said, this stuff lasts forever, few birds will actually chew it, as it truly is so hard. I have a few customers with real dedicated chewers, that request it. However, none of my birds will touch it and that seems to be the case with most birds.

It is gorgeous wood and I hope your birds enjoy it. Again, please be very careful when cutting or drilling this wood.

Last edited:

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
This is wonderful wood. I run down and pick up scraps from Alex and Sandy, (Barclay) several times a year.

But, please be very careful. This is called American ROCK maple for a reason. It truly is as hard as a rock. If you are cutting it, be very careful and be prepared to replace your saw blade frequently, if you cut very much.

Also, do not hold this with your hands when drilling. Use a sturdy pair of dykes, or even better a secure clamp, and brace yourself, it is difficult to drill, particularly if over 3/4". The drill will pull it out of your hands and it will cut your hand like a razor blade. (I speak from experience). You will have your best luck with a sturdy drill press and a new drill bit. Replace bits frequently, as this maple will dull them quickly.

Any pieces that you receive that come to a point, or have cut edges will need to be sanded, as the cut edge on this wood is extremely sharp and can slice a birdie face (or your hand) wide open.

I have hurt myself too many times working with this wood, so now my husband does all the cutting and drilling. He has cut himself up pretty good a couple of times, as well... but, we don't worry about him. :) We use a bandsaw to cut it to a thickness of 3/4", and then sand all edges. It is much easier to drill, and the birds are less discouraged.

That said, this stuff lasts forever, few birds will actually chew it, as it truly is so hard. I have a few customers with real dedicated chewers, that request it. However, none of my birds will touch it and that seems to be the case with most birds.

It is gorgeous wood and I hope your birds enjoy it. Again, please be very careful when cutting or drilling this wood.
Thank you for the tips! The wood is gorgeous! I love their products, too. I wonder if it's the same company that made the blocks for our daycare? My kid knocked out another kid with one :eek: They also withstand chomping toddlers!
We did really feel bad about it, but then another kid hit him with one and we had to take him to the hospital-minor injury. That sort of thing never happened when it was my room.

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I just had to pass along the link as I know several people on here have major wood chewers. My guys are mostly into shredding, so I haven't ordered any yet. For Micah I might have to- he's starting to be my major wood chewer. But everyone likes softer stuff. But it was too good of a deal not to pass on- so I hoped somebody might be able to find a good use for it!

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
would oak be an acceptable chew toy for a cockattoo
sorry im a newb and dont understand the link to well

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I am so lucky that I have a brother that owns a woodcraft business and a nephew that works at a cabinet shop. They keep me over supplied!

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
I ordered a box to try as I am not sure if we have any chewers other then my conure MacGuyver! He chews EVERYTHING!@

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Shelly, if the scrap wood is really that hard, do birds really like it?

I was just about to place a coupe orders as thats a great price for #20's of wood. But the ones with sharp angles sound a bit dangerous.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Just checked my bank account and my payment for my wood has been deducted. So hopefully they will ship tomorrow!:dance4: Which is good because I found out one of our new keets is a chewer!:lol::hehe:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
The mix of wood, has more larger pieces than small pieces and is not really all that soft of a wood. Most any of the pieces in the mix would be too large for Parakeets, if they are Budgie type sizes. The smallest pieces would measure like 1-1/2" long x 1-1/2" wide x no less than 5/8" thick.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
I have a friend that is willing to cut what ever sizes I need she has a wood shop! So I am excited to get my box!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow, I can imagine all the beaks that would love that, mine included. :hehe: Thanks for posting that link. :)

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
YES, my box of scrap wood just showed up! Time to sort and sand and try to make some cool toys! Hubby wants me to try to use some of the blocks to make a swing for Flo his CAG. We say one at the store for $40.00 and I already have a branch just the right size for the perch. Thank you again for posting this!

Status
Not open for further replies.