• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For those of you that have fully-flighted birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im curious how many have never been clipped vs those that have been clipped and allowed to become full-flight again. All of my birds are fully flighted but for the most part, have been clipped in their life (Im not sure how long most remained this way as they were primarily second-hand birds).

Cassius, my little goofy Hawkhead Parrot has never been clipped. I also had my boy Rasta (goffin cockatoo) full flight the whole time, I cant remember if he came to me clipped or not, but I dont think he was. Those two are/were the most FANTASTIC ariel artists :D They seem so much more confident than the ones Ive had that re-learned how to fly.

My other three Goffins are flighted too but I think have been clipped at some point, though they are all also imports and I dont know much about their life before they came here. Those three also fly very well.

The rest (amazons and sennies) have all been clipped and some have absolutely no idea how to fly. Some have learned how but still would rather travel by foot :rolleyes:

For birds that had been clipped and learned to fly, did they all regain that confidence or do you think they are not quite what they could have been if never clipped?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have never personally clipped a feather my whole life. Any bird that has come here and could fly has always been allowed to and encouraged to.

T&A both have full flights but only after many years of bad clips in previous homes. Amanda could fly but prefers not to and walks everywhere. Tika can not fly. Does not want to fly and has a panic attack if we try to do anything that might require him leaving his feet. Makes me sad

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
All my birds have been clipped at one time or another. The only one has never been clipped by me is Piper. She came with a very bad clip and still 2 years later does not fly.:( All my birdies are great flyers, it didn't seem to affect them at all. Especially those lovies, boy are they fast!:rolleyes:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Mine were all clipped in the beginning, and now all are fully flighted :D
Koko seems to be more confident since learning to fly. It took him a long time to be able to fly even a short distance, and he looks so proud of himself now flying longer distances :dance4:

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cloud9:Sachi and Emma were clipped before being weaned and before I brought them home. I met them before they were clipped and really had no choice in the matter at the time. Today they are pretty much fully flighted. I think I've done my best to make sure that they are both 2 self assured and confident parrots since the day I met them and I don't think being clipped made a big difference in their personalities.
I really don't know what to answer but I would guess that it would really depend on when the parrot was clipped and how they were treated before and after being clipped. I imagine that after being clipped if I had just neglected them and kept my parrots caged in small spaces for weeks and months and never allowed them the chance to flap their wings I would think that eventually they would lose that natural drive to fly.

I think self esteem and confidence has ALOT to do with how parrots handle being clipped. I also believe that there are certain time frames where certain behaviours or skills need to be learned and if they aren't then it becomes that much more challenging to tap into what is such a natural behaviour/skill. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I did a very conservative clip on Gertie because I didn't know better, but she has been fully flighted now and she is a flying marvel. Who needs to go to an air show with her in the house? She can and does it all, and loves to show off before Sam, who is just now growing out of her severe clip from the store. As posted on a separate thread today, Sam Mealy flew for the first time from her playtop to my kitchen sink when I was doing the dishes. I was so thrilled. I was worried because she is a heavy bird, but she has been practicing up every day, strengthening her wings with heavy duty flapping. I think she will only fly when she really wants to go somewhere, whereas the GOO likes to fly for the sheer joy of being able to do it with such grace and ease.
I think too, that having a role model will help a bird re-learn how to fly. We shall see if my theory is correct once my new ekkie meets Gertie. He has his full wings, but can't fly well at all, dropping as if he were clipped. I suspect, he will learn to fly well in this house.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My Red Lored was clipped as a baby coming from his breeder. He was still able to fly. Over a year ago, we clipped 4 inside feathers but left his out flights. He was still able to fly but not as fast. Now everything has grown in he will not be clipped but he's fast as can be and happy.

My Mealy only has about 4 -5 inner feathers clipped, the breeder left his outer flights. He's a good flyer too. He's gotten a whole lot better since he came home. He will be flighted as well and not clipped.

IMO Amazons really need to fly, keeps them fit and considering chloesterol can be an issue, excercise and good diet should keep my boys healthy and around for a very long time. :D

Mine were both babies when I got them, they both seemed to have that Amazon strong will to just do their thing. My Mealy especially is very strong willed, stubborn and constantly on the go with a mischievous look in his eyes.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
mine are clipped but they've also been fully flighted and in my case there is no difference in how they act, fly rather its fully flighted or clipped they still do all the same things no matter which form their wings are in.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did a very conservative clip on Gertie because I didn't know better, but she has been fully flighted now and she is a flying marvel. Who needs to go to an air show with her in the house? She can and does it all, and loves to show off before Sam, who is just now growing out of her severe clip from the store. As posted on a separate thread today, Sam Mealy flew for the first time from her playtop to my kitchen sink when I was doing the dishes. I was so thrilled. I was worried because she is a heavy bird, but she has been practicing up every day, strengthening her wings with heavy duty flapping. I think she will only fly when she really wants to go somewhere, whereas the GOO likes to fly for the sheer joy of being able to do it with such grace and ease.
I think too, that having a role model will help a bird re-learn how to fly. We shall see if my theory is correct once my new ekkie meets Gertie. He has his full wings, but can't fly well at all, dropping as if he were clipped. I suspect, he will learn to fly well in this house.
Hey Monica.. I was just thinking that you need a new siggie!!:dancing:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Mine were both clipped and are now fully flighted. Tango is an expert at all the maneuvers and Jasper is still learning. It amazes me to watch them flying some where and change their mind and turn and go somewhere else.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Carlos was only clipped as a baby at the store I got him from. Never clipped him again as they did a horrible short clip and took a year to grow out. He is an awesome flyer. Tequila was clipped when he was younger but has been fully flighted for several years and Mango has never been clipped. Tequila is a skilled flyer and Mango doesnt fly as much but fly's good too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree Monica. There's nothing like a great role model to learn from. I just wish I had one to show T&A the way. :(

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Of all my fids, Elsie and Boo are the only ones who have never been clipped, they're both fantastic fliers but Boo in particular is a little speed demon. He goes SOOOOO fast, takes corners super quick and impresses me when he suddenly throws on the breaks to land. :p

Everyone else has been clipped at one point or another, the tiels and budgies are all fully flighted at the moment and are awesome at flying. They do laps of the room every night and fly from cage to cage. The conures are major troublemakers, and are both currently clipped. Savvy can still get from point A to point B which gets her around the room and onto everyone's cages, but Zoe can only fly short distances.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
All of my birds are fully flighted except one. That is Bubs, my red throated conure. He is clipped because he likes to chase me through the house and attack me... he HAS to be clipped. I don't often clip either... other then maybe a time when they are being uncontrollable. Lately, I've noticed my quaker trying to attack me... he does this once in awhile and when the time comes, he needs a small clip. It usually calms him back down for at least a good year. When they do grow in though, it does not affect his self esteem or confidence... he goes about like they were not clipped.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Mine were all flighted when they came here. Since their cages are in my livingroom, and my front door is a mere 8 feet from their cages, I clipped every one of them this past spring. We are in and out of the door, sitting on the patio and BBQ'ing far more than in the winter. I didn't want to chance the birds being out and someone forgetting and them getting out.
Sherbert was the first to gain his flight feathers back and I've been letting him fly to build up muscles. Kessie is a clumsy flier so I'm seriously debating clipping hers for her own safety. Pepper doesn't come out, he's been givent he opportunity many times and chooses not to so I do not worry about him. JB just hasn't had her flights grow back in yet. She doesn't get out much as she bites and bites HARD and is a true wrench to get back into the cage. She also tends to stick to the door of the cage to "protect" it anyways... Once I'm able to get the birds into the spare room and turn it into a true bird room, then they will be allowed out all day and flighted. Their clippings now are for their own safety.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
All my birds are slowly but surely becoming flighted. I clip the amazons because they are so clumsy (and I am scared to death Chico is going to break something with his 2 lb butt flying around) and Ernie gets clipped because if he is out he has to be right with me and can fly to get there if he wants to. All my little guys are flighted, I love the conures being flighted especially, they are my best flyers. :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
MANGO WAS CLIPPED AT A YR WHEN I GOT HIM REASON I WAS TOLD HE WAS A GREAT FLYER BUT HAD GOTTEN OUT OF CAGE AND TANGLED IN A HANGING FLY THING STICKY MADE A MESS OF HIM . BUT BREEDER WAS AFRAID I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE HIM . HE WAS CLIPPED BY TAKING HIS MIDDLE WING FEATHERS OFF HE COULD STILL FLY SO WHEN HE DECIDED I WAS SAFE,,LOL I MESSED HIS WINGS UP IM THINKING WHEN I DECIDED HE NEEDED A GOOD CLIP . BUT IN ALL IM IN THE BELEAFE IT HAS GIVEN HIM MORE STREINGTH IN WING FLYING THIS PIC WAS TAKEN ABOUT 1 1/2 MONTHS AGO AND HE HAS NO PROBLEMS FLYING ANY WHERE IN APT AND HES FAST ILL NEVER CLIP HIM AGAIN AS THEY NEED FLITE TO STAY HEALTHY AND GOD GAVE THEM WINGS FOR A REASON HOW WOULD WE LIK IT IF OUR ARMS WERE AMPUTATED JUST BE CAUSE SOME ONE THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE DONE I FEEL SAME FOR BIRDS
YES ITS A PAIN CHAISING HIM:rofl: THROUGH APT BUT THE MORE I CHASE HIM THE STRONGER HE GETS SO ITS OK .
PIC 1 IS CUT TAKEN ABOUT 1 1/2 MONTHS AGO PIC 2 SHOWS HE IS A FEATHER PLUCKER BUT NOT TO BAD THATS FROM ALL THAT GLUE THAT WAS ON HIM I BELEAVE PIC 3 SHOWS SIDE VIEW TAKEN THIS WEEK
DONT GET ME WRONG IM SURE IF I WAS TO GET A NOTHER BIRD ID CLIP TILL I GOT TO KNOW THEM AND THEM ME BUT ONCE WERE BONDED FLY FREE IS THE BEST . WE WHANT OUR BIRDS TO LIVE LONG AND HEALTHY WILL THIS IS ONE SURE WAY TO HELP .

Attachments

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Honu is the only one who has not ever been clipped. The breeder offered, but was thrilled when I chose to have him sent here flighted.

Petey had an awful chop job at the the pet store, and it took her awhile to fly confidently. She used to never be able to stop and would do so by crashing into something. Even now she's a little wary and flys in circles while trying to figure out where to land.

Lucky and Tango are still growing feathers out, so we'll have to wait and see.

The budgies are all flighted, but prefer to run and hop instead.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
All of my birds came to me clipped....My 2 Sun conures are great fliers. My U2 is fully flighted & will only go short distances like if I move the scary chair he flies to the counter to hide. I'm letting the rest grow out their flights.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My past cockatiels we normally clipped. Squeeky has never been clipped. But he had a night fright where he lost almost all his flight feathers and made him unable to fly for a bit. He got very depressed and even more needy than he usually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.