• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For my conures.

eqg

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hello from Eastern NC.
After visiting many times, I am happy to finally join in on the conversation.
I currently serve the limitless needs of two Green Cheeks known as Wasabi and Ginger. Both are just over a year old but certainly very mature for their age (they forced me to write that).
We also support two budgies, Avie and Groovy (about 7 years).
I joined this site because my two conures ganged up on me one day and made it very clear that they require far more attention and interaction than the budgies. They insisted this site would help and they also wanted me to read them bedtime stories about other bird families. Last, they are a bit vain and insisted I periodically post photos of them and share opinions from a conure perspective. I tried to explain that this is a site for humans who own birds, but they insisted I clearly express THEIR philosophy and not my own, which is that Humans are here to serve the best interest of the planet and all animals but especially birds. Also they believe humans should be expected to do as they are told and if we were more obedient then they would be less compelled to take aggressive liberties with their beak. Of course I am still learning this and as part of my development they said I can expect to have a few scars on my hands and fingers, at least until I am better trained.
So there you are. Thank you for welcoming Wasabi, Ginger and also myself, their humble servant, to this forum.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hello! Fellow gcc, quakers, and budgies servant here.

Waiting on those pictures! Tho I see a glimpse of the cuties in your avatar

eqg

Real Name
Elizabeth
Aww Welcome! What are you waiting for then hooman? Pictures!!!:lol:
Such cute names!
I Thank you. They are going through their photos now… which is a tedious task since they feel they look fabulous in all of them…

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Thank you. They are going through their photos now… which is a tedious task since they feel they look fabulous in all of them…
I have no doubt they do! :laughing2:

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
Welcome!!! I look forward to seeing pictures!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue!! 1.welcome signs.gif

Reactions: eqg

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue.
P.S. Please tell Wasabi and Ginger that I loved their intro.:lol:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to Avie & Groovy too! Any chance of budgie pics?!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

eqg

Real Name
Elizabeth
Hello from Eastern NC.
After visiting many times, I am happy to finally join in on the conversation.
I currently serve the limitless needs of two Green Cheeks known as Wasabi and Ginger. Both are just over a year old but certainly very mature for their age (they forced me to write that).
We also support two budgies, Avie and Groovy (about 7 years).
I joined this site because my two conures ganged up on me one day and made it very clear that they require far more attention and interaction than the budgies. They insisted this site would help and they also wanted me to read them bedtime stories about other bird families. Last, they are a bit vain and insisted I periodically post photos of them and share opinions from a conure perspective. I tried to explain that this is a site for humans who own birds, but they insisted I clearly express THEIR philosophy and not my own, which is that Humans are here to serve the best interest of the planet and all animals but especially birds. Also they believe humans should be expected to do as they are told and if we were more obedient then they would be less compelled to take aggressive liberties with their beak. Of course I am still learning this and as part of my development they said I can expect to have a few scars on my hands and fingers, at least until I am better trained.
So there you are. Thank you for welcoming Wasabi, Ginger and also myself, their humble servant, to this forum.
Thanks for all the welcomes, been a busy 2nd half of the year. Ginger ended up showing signs of lethargy about a week ago, which was odd and unexpected because she and Wasabi are shadows of each other, same cage, same food, same habit’s. No outward signs, no vomiting, no known or obvious causes. She had blood work done last week at a local exotic Vet. While waiting for the results, she started having seizures this morning. This was one of the most traumatic experiences I’ve ever had with my birds. Here is how it played out.

They both went to bed around 830 pm and as is typical. Also typical is for Wasabi to start waking me up around 0545. Ginger was still feeling under the weather so she sleeps in. Wasabi and I decided to start waking up GinGin around 0630. When I tried to wake her she was upside down tight, legs pulled up and not responding. I pulled her out and she looked barely alive, cool, barely a twitch. —then she arched her head back, wings spread a bit, legs even tighter and she began to seize. I had never ever seen a bird seize but the presentation was obvious. My local exotic vet linked out to two ER Vet clinics. Neither one could manage birds. Next closest was Raleigh, NC, about 2hrs north west. My husband and I drove our Ginger to Raleigh and this little nondescript ER clinic. The girl at the front quoted me $600 to be seen and $400 more if I wanted her resuscitated in case her heart stops… AND I could not go into the back room With her. I asked her… are they comfortable with birds? I told them I was scared, I told them that an actual certified Avian Vet in Durham is another 28 minutes away and if they did not feel comfortable , I’d head over there.

They brought her back out and said she would probably be referred there anyway so we all agreed and drove on to Durham. GinGin had a couple seizures on the drive up but they seemed to have eased by the time we arrived in Durham. We made it to Dr Greg Burkett of Durham just after 10am and Ginger was still alive.

Dr B read the blood test results sent to him by our local exotic Vet, he did some reading, punched in some numbers, gave her an exam and then told me that Ginger, at only 1.5 years old, had high Creatinine Kinase (CK) numbers. Putting it all together along with her other blood numbers and presentation, he said she seems to suffering from epilepsy. He is treating her with levetiracetam twice daily, with a follow-up in 30 days.

His clinic showed us how to administer her medication, and gave her grape flavor. She had no more seizures on the long drive home, and went straight to see her bestie Wasabi! They hugged, Ginger ate a bit and then flew over to curl up on my neck where she is resting and making little clicks sounds.

I don’t know what the week or month has in store but I know that once we adopted Wasabi and Ginger, we adopted them for life and will do all we can to give her a good quality of life. Send good thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all the welcomes, been a busy 2nd half of the year. Ginger ended up showing signs of lethargy about a week ago, which was odd and unexpected because she and Wasabi are shadows of each other, same cage, same food, same habit’s. No outward signs, no vomiting, no known or obvious causes. She had blood work done last week at a local exotic Vet. While waiting for the results, she started having seizures this morning. This was one of the most traumatic experiences I’ve ever had with my birds. Here is how it played out.

They both went to bed around 830 pm and as is typical. Also typical is for Wasabi to start waking me up around 0545. Ginger was still feeling under the weather so she sleeps in. Wasabi and I decided to start waking up GinGin around 0630. When I tried to wake her she was upside down tight, legs pulled up and not responding. I pulled her out and she looked barely alive, cool, barely a twitch. —then she arched her head back, wings spread a bit, legs even tighter and she began to seize. I had never ever seen a bird seize but the presentation was obvious. My local exotic vet linked out to two ER Vet clinics. Neither one could manage birds. Next closest was Raleigh, NC, about 2hrs north west. My husband and I drove our Ginger to Raleigh and this little nondescript ER clinic. The girl at the front quoted me $600 to be seen and $400 more if I wanted her resuscitated in case her heart stops… AND I could not go into the back room With her. I asked her… are they comfortable with birds? I told them I was scared, I told them that an actual certified Avian Vet in Durham is another 28 minutes away and if they did not feel comfortable , I’d head over there.

They brought her back out and said she would probably be referred there anyway so we all agreed and drove on to Durham. GinGin had a couple seizures on the drive up but they seemed to have eased by the time we arrived in Durham. We made it to Dr Greg Burkett of Durham just after 10am and Ginger was still alive.

Dr B read the blood test results sent to him by our local exotic Vet, he did some reading, punched in some numbers, gave her an exam and then told me that Ginger, at only 1.5 years old, had high Creatinine Kinase (CK) numbers. Putting it all together along with her other blood numbers and presentation, he said she seems to suffering from epilepsy. He is treating her with levetiracetam twice daily, with a follow-up in 30 days.

His clinic showed us how to administer her medication, and gave her grape flavor. She had no more seizures on the long drive home, and went straight to see her bestie Wasabi! They hugged, Ginger ate a bit and then flew over to curl up on my neck where she is resting and making little clicks sounds.

I don’t know what the week or month has in store but I know that once we adopted Wasabi and Ginger, we adopted them for life and will do all we can to give her a good quality of life. Send good thoughts and prayers.
Oh my goodness! I'm so relieved you were able to get her treatment in time and that Ginger seems to be doing better.

I'm glad Ginger and Wasabi were able to find a home with such wonderful parronts though, you did amazing. I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Sending good vibes! I hope ginger fully recovers :hug8:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh jeez :wideyed:

Poor all of y’all! How’s everyone doing this evening, stress-wise? I imagine it’s been quite a day with all of that.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
What a scare you must have had, and thank god you got her to an experienced vet, who promptly got her on medication.
Sending prayers and good thoughts for Ginger to have a full recovery. :hug4:

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Wow that’s so scary!! Glad she’s doing better!
:welcome2:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
once we adopted Wasabi and Ginger, we adopted them for life
They are lucky that you found them good to see Ginger is doing better