• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For Future Reference

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
What's the worst thing your amazon(s) do? Are there calmer species than others? How loud are they? I would like to see pictures of your amazon(s)!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The worst thing was Secret's hormonal biting when I heard no idea there was such a thing as hormones. One time within the first few months of moving in. My fault, not Secret's.

Honestly? MC and Secret were wild caught, blue front amazons. Old guys. I have apicture with Secret from 1978. DNA male (both of them). We had zero bird experience. Zero. Blue fronts get a bad rap. We made it and loved the trip. MC was my best buddy and I loved him dearly. MC was more energetic and played more but Secret may have been older. Who knows?

Amazons rule. They roll with the flow. Their eyes tell you their feelings. Pinning? Excited or mad, bites can happen. Flared tail? Same thing. They're not cuddle bugs but they are awesome companions.

They also give off this smell that sucks you into their world once they love you.

Beak grinding? Ah yeah, you know they're content.

They can be loud compared to some little guys. But.... I've heard a sun conure and THAT is blood curdling to me!

Do a meet and greet.

Pictures? I have tons. Just go up to search to see more.....and have a good time.

Secret looking for toys....
20200924_200414.jpg

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I think the thing Lucy my YNA does that I cant stand the most is start screaming when my wife pulls in the driveway. She has her loud moments in the evening but those are mostly her just going through everything she says and sings but quite a bit louder. She is very easy to read now so no more getting bit. I love her smells and she can be an absolute sweetheart when she wants to be.
Ive had her since she was a baby and now going on 6 years. My favorite time is after dinner, she comes and sits on my shoulder on the couch to watch tv with me and will preen me and talk to me.
That only lasts about 15 minutes then she starts yawning and falls asleep.
Img_1379.jpg IMG_2893.jpg

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Worst thing that happened? The other time I was chilling with him and some other person decides to walk next to me (he really hates that person) and decides to bite me in an attempt to get rid of him. He’s much more chill now but that was the handful of times that he drew blood. He’s quite calm to be honest and isn’t really that loud. Currently I never had a single scream episode of him yet. Am still waiting lol ;)
As for pics just find my thread. Tons right there :))

From what I heard lilac crowned and orange wings and mealys are calmer than the rest but again it is up to the bird to decide.
They are independent gems with great body language so you’ll know when they want to really nail you hard (Puff likes to play fight with my finger some little nibbles here and there which can hurt but never left a mark)
They smell great too!!!

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My Sam is now 37. I have had him since he was 11 weeks old. Living with my Amazon has been one of the best and most amazing experiences of my life. Never a dull moment.

Sam is not too loud for a parrot. He has his moments where he rings his bells and yells a little. When he was younger, he did scream. Not so much now. He really doesn't bite us, and if he is thinking of biting, he will give a really good warning. As long as you heed it, you will not get hurt. I wouldn't trade the last 37 years. Anita. Sam Beak.jpg

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
They’re adorable!

Aves

Thank you guys for the info! I love the pictures! :swoon:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you guys for the info! I love the pictures! :swoon:
The Amazon threads are all cute (I'm biased).

MC used to holler from the front of the house when were were in the back, "What cha doin?" If you left the house, the two of them made SUCH a conversation of noise! Friends were amazed how silent the birds were, we told them to wait until they left. Inevitably, the friends would get to the front porch with us and off the birds would go yakking and singing. Friends were amazed. The birds just love attention.

If you want to SEE how they try to get attention.....

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Archie’s still a young YNA guy, around 18 months, and only gets into a short screeching mode when I SOMETIMES go into the kitchen, out of his sight. Like, once a day, and lasts about 20 seconds. Ironically, he doesn’t do this when I LEAVE the house, or go into a bathroom. (And no...it‘s not about him waiting for food.)

Other than this, noise wise? No problem. He’s a great talker, and particularly likes speaking gibberish to himself, which we find hysterical.

I’m retired, and can often be found on the couch (sleeping a lot these days!) in eye shot of him, like 6 feet. My sleeping schedule is ridiculous, and he just goes with the flow...up until 4am with me, and then sleeping the morning away while I do. (Never tries to wake me up, which I LOVE him for.) I’m convinced that me being side by side with him for so much of the day and night...even when he’s in his cage...plays the MAJOR part in forming his personality.

Playful biting, yes. Not so playful? Very rare, but usually my fault for getting him too excited playing fetch. I’m sure he’ll get into some serious biting as he matures, but as long you know it’s coming, you won’t feel resentful when it happens and you’ll learn how to anticipate, and thus, minimize them.

He loves women, but not men. Fortunately, as his main caregiver, he still loves me, but he ADORES my wife. When she wants to pass him off to me, I insist she perches him somewhere first. Otherwise, I’ll get a bite because he doesn’t want to leave her.

Photo below, and his yellow is just starting to come in!
869819F3-DB53-431C-B207-C6C49C01DA7D.jpeg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This is Solomon. He's a plain colored mealy. He's 22 years old. Big bird, about 600 grams.
He really has never done anything bad, but he's LOUD. And I mean he can raise the dead. ;)

004.jpg IMG_3760.JPG

BirdWorld

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I met a mealy @macawpower58 several years ago. I liked him and he REALLY liked me.

The gal that was fostering him was trying to convince me to take him (he HATED her). As I walked away, he YELLED! OH MY GRACIOUS HE WAS LOUD! Hubby would have strangled me if I'd brought him home.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The worst thing is probably overall the displaced aggression. If you don't know about parrots, you'd think its a bite for no good reason. In reality, its the bird trying to chase you away from something else. Mine like to bite me because my dog got too close. I can see this being a problem within a human family if someone comes to resent being told to stay out of a room in their own house because someone needs one on one time with the bird without getting bit. Some male amazons will fly off their cage in order to attack someone if their hormones are raging.
They can be quite loud. They don't have the volume that cockatoos and macaws do, but they probably would still be a no go for most apartments. Some individuals make a very loud repeated call that could go through walls easily. Others don't. I have 6 yellow naped amazons and 2 make that call. The others can just do a lot of yodeling and other loud noises and whistles. They are not a quiet species. If you make noise, they make noise. The sound of the kitchen sink going always gets mine riled up. They were hand-fed here and the faucet running always happened before a feeding because I'd always wash my hands first. Naturally, with coronavirus going on and more frequent hand-washing, I have more frequently screaming amazons.
There are calmer amazons. I always though lilac crowns might be a little more likely to qualify for perfect bird status for a lot of people. Along with several other smaller amazon species. They aren't as likely to be prolific talkers. Its not that they can't. I think that along with being a milder personality, they tend to show off less which means less drive to talk. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with a major complaint about a lilac crown. Orange wings also seem to have a good following. I've heard of several problem screamers among the orange wings, but only a couple individuals with real hormonal aggression like you see in the hot 3 species.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I think the thing Lucy my YNA does that I cant stand the most is start screaming when my wife pulls in the driveway. She has her loud moments in the evening but those are mostly her just going through everything she says and sings but quite a bit louder. She is very easy to read now so no more getting bit. I love her smells and she can be an absolute sweetheart when she wants to be.
Ive had her since she was a baby and now going on 6 years. My favorite time is after dinner, she comes and sits on my shoulder on the couch to watch tv with me and will preen me and talk to me.
That only lasts about 15 minutes then she starts yawning and falls asleep.
View attachment 361690 View attachment 361691
I hope my guy gets the same amount of yellow!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I hope my guy gets the same amount of yellow!
Im sure he will on his nape, the yellow on the top of the head Lucy had that as a baby, she developed the yellow on the nape later.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Im sure he will on his nape, the yellow on the top of the head Lucy had that as a baby, she developed the yellow on the nape later.
They all develop the color at different rates and intensity, but so far at 19 months, no yellow on the head and the nape only recently started to come in.