• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Foot trouble/foot crack w/ my M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
I just noticed that my 30ish M2 has a little blood on her foot. It's in a crack on her foot. I rinsed w/ peroxide before I realized don't do that. I rinsed it w/ water immediately after. I feel the need to put a salve or cream on her foot. I have triple antibiotic and aloe vera gel. I'm getting rid of her cement perch tomorrow and have all wood perches. She's an older gal and needs something softer. At any rate, what can I do to soothe her foot tonight.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
My B&G had that problem before because she was obese and she put her weight on her feet oddly. With the dry winter they cracked often. My avian vet recommended the aloe vera gel. I also noticed when I put a humidifier near her cage her feet stopped cracking and I didn't have to apply the aloe as often.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Polysporin works on foot injuries like that too. I have even smeared it on the perch so they stand in it. If she needs softer perches you might consider cotton rope perches. Wood is not much softer than cement.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my vet uses HealX Soother ointment by Harrison's. Worked well for us! Hope the foot heals up quickly :)

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
Thanks John and Saroj...I saw the use of HealX Soother in a previous thread. I'll pick some of that up. I wrapped her cement perch in a tea towel (no strings possible) and gave her feet a good washing. She's a little mad right now and I might have to wait on the Aloe until tomorrow. Thanks again.

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
My B&G had that problem before because she was obese and she put her weight on her feet oddly. With the dry winter they cracked often. My avian vet recommended the aloe vera gel. I also noticed when I put a humidifier near her cage her feet stopped cracking and I didn't have to apply the aloe as often.
I keep meaning to get a humidifier! Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to try some aloe on it tomorrow.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
HealX soother is great stuff and you won't have to worry about ingestion. You can also wrap the perches with vet wrap. I have done that with a few of mine and it works great. Good luck.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I agree with others- that sort of foot issue is usually due to other factors than just their feet. Variety of perches, including rope and/or heated ones for the older birds (or even a platform if the bird will use it), making sure the humidity is appropriate, showers, and making sure the bird is at a good weight can all help keep it from happening again. I know nothing about your bird's diet, but both too much and too little vitamin A can cause weak, easily damaged skin. Where I live, it's pretty common for me to get cracked skin on my hands and cracked lips, so I can vouch that it sucks and hurts until it's healed up.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is she today?

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
Peaches is doing fine. Unfortunately, I'm away for work but she survived the evening of my "at-home vet" care. She completely destroyed the towel that I tied to her perch. Peaches is not in a cage, she lives on a huge manzanita tree perch. I think a rope perch would be great but I can't figure out how to attach it to the tree. Am I right that all rope perches (not boings) come w/ that fat plastic end? Diet is a tricky thing w/ her. Her lab work is great but she has a predominantly seed and fresh veg/fruit diet. Suffice to say, she's an older gal who came to me with these food very specific food preferences. I've done a lot with increasing the variety of fresh fruit and veg but alas...no pellets. I had to order the HealX as my avian vet didn't have it. Sounds like a good thing to have on hand. Thanks all!

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
I'm sure there's a way to attach a rope perch to her tree....
If you show pics I'm sure we could come up with something.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It just occured to me- you could wrap the perches with some coflex/vetwrap! It might be easier than stringing a rope, and once you have half a dozen layers, it's pretty soft and easy on the feet in addition to being very grippy. You'd have to watch for chewing of course, but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.