• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot Toys, Foraging Toys for Different Size Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
I have a confession ~ last year I bought a TON of stuff to make toys for my birds, but didn't get any leather string. Due to health and other issues I have to make a single toy and desperately need some ideas. With the addition of Flo I really want to start making foot toys, foraging toys, etc. but have no clue as to what size for Flo. Most of what I bought is great for my Kakariki and my Conure but, I think is way to small for a CAG. So any suggestions, pictures, advice etc is greatly welcomed.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
If I don't have leather for ties...and sometimes to tie perches more securely I use T-shirt material, the cotton sort, as it doesn't fray, is cheap, I go through heaps of them so always have "dead" T-shirts.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Are you looking for ideas of toys to make without leather or pollyrope? Or are you looking for CAG toy ideas in general?

Without rope you can still make toys depending on what you have available, you could use stainless steel squewers for example and make toys off of those. Or there are many foot toys you can make without rope.

If you are looking for ideas for toys in general i recommend a couple sources. First if you can look up a toy that you know that your CAG already loves. One that you buy. Find it online and look for other toys by that same company or person. Now look closely at those toy photos for inspiration. Sometimes you can see it is a rather simple design and you can make it yourself with the pieces that you have. Also you can sub in parts that you know your CAG already likes. The more you experiment the more you will fine tune what works for you and your fid.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Hawkygal ~ As we just got Flo and she was in a pet shop for over a year I can not tell you what types of toys she does or does not like. As mentioned we have a small bird, medium and large bird so all types would be great.

I have never made any toys and do not have any leather or polly rope. I do have twine and some hemp.

Thanks for the help~

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
if the hemp is 100% natural its safe - but smell it to be on the safe side, if it smells of gas/oil or other wise should be in a Auto Garage its not safe

i have used the strings from Jogging pants, or hoodies, or even shorts when they come out or start to come out and you can't get them back in I just yank them out and use them

I've also used Shoe strings (clean never been in shoes)

you can also go to most Craft stores and get 100% natural Sisal rope, I got mine at Jo-Anns along with my Hemp rope I got the big bolts i think they were 2.99 or 3.99 each

also not all foot toys need ropes, We made Kaycee (IRN) a bunch with dowel rods or just give her Wedding/baby shower favors some we attach to a key ring

She also loves BELLS and will play for hours with a bell with her feet/beak we just attached a key ring to it - makes it easier for her to pick them up than trying to pick them up with the little lip at he top of them.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
What kind of parts do you have? Do you have finger traps and mini birdy bagels?

PS- have you seen the free e-books on this site http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ they have some good ideas on forraging and all as well.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I hardly ever use leather on any of my bird products. I prefer HEMP ROPE. Its about $9 at walmart for the LARGE size. You can get the medium size for a dollar or two less :) I much prefer hemp over leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.