• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Foot swelling, getting desperate

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,
I already posted a few times on this sub, but I guess it's all old info and too hard too keep up with and I am going to put everything on this post now because of all the updates.
So I have a cockatiel, soon to be 9. Had him for 8. We are not sure of the gender, we got him as a male but he is doing some typical female stuff. No eggs tho so we are staying at "he" lol.

Anyways, he got some brown scabs and peeling skin on the bottom side of his feet in beggining of december, however I am going to be honest I thought he just hurt himself a bit and I didn't know about bumblefoot. I got him while I was still in primary school and now I am in college in another town, so because I can't take care of him he stays in my hometown and my family takes great care of him. I visit my hometown often, like 2-3 times a month for a weekend, but due to me getting sick and also exams, I wasn't at home a long time and when I came back I realised the scabs are still there and I need to inform the vet. That was beginning of February. Literally the next day his leg got swollen and purple. This is his left leg. Right leg, only brown scabs. Keep in mind through this story, when his leg is swelled up, he can't stand on that leg because it hurts him. Vet gave me antibiotic, enrofloxacin and anti-inflammation medicine, both of which he takes in some soft food, because they are in liquid form.

So this is how therapy worked: he was on anti-inflammation medicine (non steroid) for 5 days, (his swelling was gone in 2 days!) and antibiotic for 2 weeks. Also some antibiotic, anti-inflammation cream for those 2 weeks. After all this, we got some other antibiotic that was thick for a few days so he can finish his therapy but... swelling started again. Scabs came back. We figured it was bumblefoot again, but my vet suspected gout (the swelling part) because he had polyuria for some time in October, (we took some antibiotics then in October - doxycycline, and it resolved on it's own but she still suspected gout). So we got him some pain medicine for that (gabapentin) along with more enrofloxacin and new inflammation medicine, this time steroid. His swelling got better, scabs also ... And then he started throwing up. To make this story short: we had to stop all medicine, suspected that his tummy was upset from all the medicine, then we changed the antibiotics to clindamycin because we thought it was the antibiotic making him sick, but his swelling wasn't getting better so we gave him the steroid anti-inflammation medicine again and he started throwing up again and we realised that it was the reason for throwing up. So the new antibiotic wasn't doing anything for the scabs, we are back to literally first medicine: enrofloxacin and non-steroid anti-inflammation medicine. And why am I writing all this? The non steroid one, that worked before, is not working anymore on him. His leg is still swelled and it's not getting better.
Also, everytime we stop the medicine his swelling gets even worse than the last time untill we start the medicine again - it takes up more of his foot, and now even some part of the leg.

I am so tired and depressed. I am aware that I am probably getting consequences from my actions: not figuring out I need to call the vet earlier. But from that point in February, me , and my family, are doing everything we can. Constantly contacting my vet, traveling constantly from different towns to bring him medicine and take care of him as much as I can (my vet is in my college town because no good vets in hometown), buying vet bandages for his perches, cleaning cage etc. literally doing everything I can. At this point idk if it's gout or bumblefoot, but I don't know what to do with the swelling. It gives him pain, and that gives me pain. I don't know why the old medicine is not working now. I guess, in a way, I am just venting, but if you have any idea what is going on with my cockatiel, or have some advice, or just some words of encouragment, it would mean a lot to me. He is a little fighter: he eats, is active, preens, and he is even better when we get his swelling down. I am so proud of him. I just want this to end. Hopefully the next medicine for inflammation helps. But at this point, I am already prepared for the worst. I am not delusional, but I still wish some medicine, or at this point, miracle, helps.

TL;DR: Cockatiel probably has bumblefoot with purple swelling one one leg, and brown scabs on the other, only anti-inflammation medicine helps with swelling but he can't take the steroid ones because they make him throw up and now the non steroid ones that worked before don't work. He is constantly back and forth on different antibiotics which seems that are not curing it. Maybe he has gout, or some other thing that makes the scabs and swelling. Asking if anyone has experience or advice.

The two pictures are when he is not getting the anti-inflammation medicine vs his leg being more or less fine when on it.

IMG-20230326-WA0012.jpg IMG-20230320-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's very possible it is a combination of gout and bumblefoot. Is he being treated at all for gout? Antibiotics are not usually the treatment for that.

Steroids can have diminishing returns; that is, it's normal for them to work for a while and then work for shorter and shorter amounts of time after a while.

What is his diet like? What are his perches?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm sorry you guys are dealing with such a complex case.

Sending :sadhug2::sadhug:

I don't know what to add.

maybug

Meeting neighbors
It's very possible it is a combination of gout and bumblefoot. Is he being treated at all for gout? Antibiotics are not usually the treatment for that.

Steroids can have diminishing returns; that is, it's normal for them to work for a while and then work for shorter and shorter amounts of time after a while.

What is his diet like? What are his perches?
Seeds, herbs, some fruits but mostly apple, from vegetables mostly carrot, corn, sometimes some rice, pasta, potato, eggs, cooked fish, we introduced some flax seed recently, plus vitamins in water. He is a picky eater/ seed addict but we try our best. We recently bought him wider wooden perches (he had 2 plastic ones and one wooden before) than before and put vet tape over it. He is out of the cage a lot so he perches on us, on chairs, bed etc. For gout, basically only diet helps but currently we can't really introduce new diets because of his sensitive tummy from medicine. I am aware of perching needs and diet needs in this situation. And I agree it can be a combination of bumblefoot and gout , but it's weird to me that the swelling is only in one leg. idk. Ty for response and info!

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Also guys just wanted to add, don't worry he is always on probiotics while on his medicine (usually antibiotics) so there's no mistake in there from my part

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to hear your baby is having issues ..best of luck getting this resolved :hug8:

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Well guys nothing is working we stopped all medicine and we will use the steroid anti inflammatory medicine sparingly just so to manage his pain for now. My vet told me to contact another one she recommended, and I got in contact with him and he told me I need to take a swab (in a few days in order for antibiotics to wear off). I'm gonna be honest guys I'm terrified. We've never needed to towel him, and I tried to train him for that before but he is SO scared of it, I know birds don't like it but I literally feel his heart when I try and I am so scared of traumatizing him and breaking our bond or stressing him to the point of his heart gives out. It won't be simple, I am going to need to literally scrape off the scab the vet told me I should maybe even draw blood and stuff and I am so scared. Do you have any tips or experience with this?

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys! Idk if u even saw my last message but that's okay lol, I was panicking a bit, both my birdie and me are getting used to the toweling and we are handling it pretty okay xD Anyways we couldn't take the swab, it definitely needed a professional's help, so I finally took him to the other town to a vet ! My birdie is usually so terrified of everything but he took the vet visit and swab taking pretty good! (and the vet even cleaned his nose a a bit!) He was so brave :)
Unfortunately, both this vet nor my old one know why the swelling. X-ray is really dangerous because of anesthesia :/ We are waiting to see what bacteria are attacking him, so we can take antibiotic that attacks those bacteria specifically!! Meanwhile we are on new antibiotic, marbofloxacin, and also we are using old anti-inflammatory non steroid medicine, just in bigger quantity, so he can have some relief, even though it's not working so good like the steroid one. I hope he is not in too much pain :( Tnx for everything guys!