• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Foot Mutilation/Lameness Green Cheeked Conure (sad update post #34)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so sorry for your loss. Poor thing. Did his legs ever go lame?
They did not that I know of…have you tried paroxetine? I would try that with gabapentin and possibly Celebrex.

Elsibetz

Moving in
They did not that I know of…have you tried paroxetine? I would try that with gabapentin and possibly Celebrex.
No we have not. Our vet was convinced it was due to enlarged testicles and didn't prescribe meds. I think we have to go down that route, Apple seems to be in a lot of pain at night and the periods where his leg goes lame are occurring more frequently. Did Tuck have bad poops or anything of the sort?

Elsibetz

Moving in
If he were allergic to certain foods or the dyes in his toys/perches, this would be a more prevalent issue, and not something that occurs in a more cyclic fashion, right? Rupert does not get any lameness in his feet.
The really bizarre thing is that there are periods where he has no symptoms whatsoever. Then suddenly, he start mutilating again and it's really bad. What can come and go like that and be such a transient issue if we're not changing anything in his diet/environment?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The really bizarre thing is that there are periods where he has no symptoms whatsoever. Then suddenly, he start mutilating again and it's really bad. What can come and go like that and be such a transient issue if we're not changing anything in his diet/environment?
Exactly! It really doesn’t make sense, does it?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
One last question for now: did Rupert ever get any imaging done? If so, was everything normal?

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
It wasn’t suggested to me at all.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
No we have not. Our vet was convinced it was due to enlarged testicles and didn't prescribe meds. I think we have to go down that route, Apple seems to be in a lot of pain at night and the periods where his leg goes lame are occurring more frequently. Did Tuck have bad poops or anything of the sort?
Tuck had normal poops and gram stains etc. gout is very hard to target with diagnostics unfortunately. I will say that hormones will make things like this flare up. That’s why it seems like it just comes out of nowhere sometimes. Giggie has had X-rays and ultrasounds. Bird has got to be my most expensive cheekie.

Elsibetz

Moving in
Update: Heavy Metal blood test came back normal. We're going to see another vet today. Apple's night time mutilation is getting worse -- he barely gets sleep at all, despite Metacam, Gabapentin and Tramadol.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update: Heavy Metal blood test came back normal. We're going to see another vet today. Apple's night time mutilation is getting worse -- he barely gets sleep at all, despite Metacam, Gabapentin and Tramadol.
Bless his little heart. I'm so very sorry that he's so uncomfortable that he can't even sleep. I really hope an answer is able to be found.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I am so sorry, Elsi. It's so hard to pinpoint what's going on... I so wish our babies could tell us what hurts. I hope you're able to find some answers, and soon. Have any of your vets tried a phone consult with another vet?

Elsibetz

Moving in
I am so sorry, Elsi. It's so hard to pinpoint what's going on... I so wish our babies could tell us what hurts. I hope you're able to find some answers, and soon. Have any of your vets tried a phone consult with another vet?
Thank you all for your kind words. Yeah we had a vet reach out to Dr. Echols in Utah who looked at the Xray, but even he couldn't tell for sure what that enlargement of the gonads was. Waiting what the vet today will see, potentially an Endoscopy will be the next step.

Elsibetz

Moving in
Update: Vet thinks we could have gotten a false negative on the Avian Ganglioneuritis test. It is uncommon that his poops are great but possible. He's not too concerned with the size of the testicles rather than the GI tract. Will do a CT scan tomorrow.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Good luck tomorrow.
:hug8::bighug:

Elsibetz

Moving in
Apple didn't make it. The CT showed no abnormalities. Vet's think it was a problem with his nerves, we will never know. We miss our baby.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Im so sorry! Apple was so very loved. You guys did everything possible and then more for him. :sorrow:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apple didn't make it. The CT showed no abnormalities. Vet's think it was a problem with his nerves, we will never know. We miss our baby.
Oh my gosh no! I don't even know what to say I'm just so sorry. You did everything possible for him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
1673100157869.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month