• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

foot issues?

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
Leaf had this visible on his foot before we went to the vet. it wasn't there when we were there but I finally captured it on camera. he has:
- a rope perch
- two pedi-perches
- an edible perch
- four wood perches

he also has various toys to sit on and two swings. no dowels, nothing that's too pointy, at least I think. I can take pictures of his curren perches and stuff to help figure out what's going on. otherwise I plan to show the vet. it doesn't seem to bother him and this isn't the foot he holds his food in. IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0667.JPG

it's like a teeny, tiny hole or something.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
it looks like a little puncture of some sort. keep it clean and tiny dib dab anti biotic cream rub into to it once a day. check the pedi perches for anything that is poking out that is sharp.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
This looks like what one of my tiels had in both her feet, which was the start of bumblefoot. She got it from her safety pumice perch. Three of my other tiels have the same perches with no issues. My vet advised me to take it out, make everything else in the cage soft, and put a towel down on the bottom of the cage. The little black sores on her feet went away within two weeks. If they get too sore, they can get infected, but luckily they weren't that bad yet. My birds sores were just a little bigger than your birds.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
thank you guys! I'm going to remove the pedi perches until it goes away and I'll put something soft on the bottom of his cage. he's out a lot of the time and I'll get some vet wrap for the rest of his perches to make them softer.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not a big fan of any "pedi-perches" or any rough perches in general. I have one that has two smooth sides and two rough sides. Haven't noticed a difference in the sharpness of the nails...

If Leaf will let you, see if you can clean it up and just keep an eye on it.

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
he's a little weird about being held in the way I would need to in order to check it out but I'm going to try that tomorrow morning to get a better look and make sure it's okay. a bird friend of mine says it looks more superficial and it looks dry so potentially not a problem but I'll just keep a close eye on it. it doesn't seem to hurt him from what I can tell.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's normal for a lot of birds to not like being held a certain way! I don't see any reason to be concerned as long as it doesn't get worse, but of course keep an eye on it. :)

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
@Monica thanks so much!! he doesn't seem to be in pain and is his regular old self and eating well, being his cute little self so I'll only become concerned if he seems to favour that foot. it's not the foot he uses to eat so that might help it heal up faster