• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot fungus?? Infection? Bumblefoot?

Cheeko

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hey I know I've only been posting about my frantic health scares since I've joined this forum. I apologise, but Im a new bird owner and anything I notice is new to me! I've had my budgie for almost two weeks now and only today did I notice this crusty bubbly thing on his foot. I attached photos below. I will be taking him to the vet soon, but I just wanted to know how serious this is, what could be the cause?
foot.jpg foot2.jpg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it actually part of his foot or is it dirt? Maybe if he bathed it would fall off. Meanwhile booking with a vet sounds like a good idea.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That does look worrisome. Like Sparkles try to wash it off - gently - and if that doesn't work, it is certainly time for the vet.

Cheeko

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Thanks for the quick replies, I will try washing it off tomorrow using a spray bottle but I’m not sure if that will do the trick since my budgie still won’t let me too close to him or touch him, so not sure what else I could try.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Thanks for the quick replies, I will try washing it off tomorrow using a spray bottle but I’m not sure if that will do the trick since my budgie still won’t let me too close to him or touch him, so not sure what else I could try.
Have you ever tried giving him a shallow plate to bathe in. If it can wash off, I don't think a spray bottle would do that. Try putting the plate into his cage and let him bathe, if he isn't interested or is scared put a few pieces of lettuce in the plate so he can be more interested. Would really recommend trying to get an appointment with the vet in the meanwhile.

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
Are you sure he hasn't just pooped on his foot? That's all it looks like to me.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
It does look like it could be a dropping. If that's not what it actually looks like in person, definitely get him to the vet. If it's a dropping he should take care of it himself.

Cheeko

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
I dont have a shallow plate I can attach on top. But I'll place one at the bottom of the cage for now and see if he's interested in bathing in it.
And yes I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow or Thursday depending on the schedule!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
You have to catch him to take him to the vet anyway. I suggest you catch him now and take a close look at his foot and make it wet. It looks to me like he stepped in poop and then some millet hulls.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Vet and Bath Please!