• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food stuff

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
My budgies they like Harrison's pellets and love seed. I want to know how to offer veggies in the least scary way possible for them. Also how do you introduce spray millet?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I want to know how to offer veggies in the least scary way possible for them.
I offered a somewhat finely chopped mix of veg first thing in the morning, with those seeds and pellets sprinkled on top :)

You can offer millet spray as a treat or reward for training/bonding.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I started introducing vegetables in a chop to my budgies soon after getting them and at first I added a few seeds on top and that convinced them to at least try it. I just kept putting it in their bowl first thing in the morning for breakfast and they eventually started eating all of it and now there is hardly any ever left in their chop bowl when they're done. (Also, there are many threads on here about how to make chop and introduce it too on here if you do a quick search on here.) As far as millet spray goes I would only use it as a training incentive and treat, mine never had any issues eating it right away and it has been a great training treat that I use with them.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Finely chop a mix of veggies from brussel sprouts, purple cabbage, carrots, broccoli and kale. You can simply hang the millet!

I fed the budgies their veggies on the bottom of the cage. They loved to forage around for it. I did make them work for the millet. I hung it so it was accessible, but they had to really climb to get it.