• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Ratios for Meyers Parrot

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi all,

I'm the proud carer of a 1.5-2 year old male Meyers Parrot who I recently adopted.
He enjoys his Vetafarm Nutriblend pellets, and we are getting there with his veggies.

I'm wondering how much you all feed your parrots daily (pellets/veggies/fruit/seed/sprouts)?
And how did you go about working out the weight of your ratios?
Or do you work yours out based on body weight?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
I'd suggest weighing your food at the beginning of the day (or whenever you serve it) and weighing it again once you take it out. Keep doing this for around a week and slowly fit your amounts to match what he eats - just be sure not to limit him when it comes to pellets.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Yay, congrats! There's really no set amount per species. It depends on their activity level, metabolism etc. For our Meyers I do a heaping tablespoon of chop and sprouts in the AM. You could start there, and then watch how much he eats in a few hours and make adjustments. I also have pellets available all day. But if you're trying to get them eating more fresh foods, leave the pellets out until the afternoon so he focuses on the fresh foods when he's hungriest. In the afternoon we feed a bit of a dried veggie, greens and fruit mix (with a few seeds) all hidden in foraging toys.