• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Quantity Question

Nubs

Meeting neighbors
Now, I don’t believe I will be getting a GCC, but I was curious about this and couldn’t find an answer.

If your green cheeked conure refuses to eat any veggies, how many pounds of pelleted food would they go through per month on average? A pound? Two pounds? Am I way over or under estimating?

I’m only asking because I like to have a solid estimate on how much an animal will cost me per month (minus emergency expenses and vet care, just a normal month) and while I have figured out a pretty solid estimate on everything else, it’s pellets I’m stumped on!
I know some birds won’t touch veggies, so I want to have an estimate for the most pellets one would eat per month.

It’s weird, I know, but I’m a huge budgeter/planner and if anyone has an estimate I’d love to hear it!

(still interested in budgies, but starting to wonder if the nippy tendencies of a conure would be a worthy trade off for the dust and constant noise of budgies. I’m aware conures can be LOUD)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How nerdy do you want to go :D

On average, birds eat 10-20% of their body weight in a day.

Let's say a green cheek weighs 80g. Some are smaller, some are larger (I've personally known some as small as 54g and some as large as 120g). That's 8 to 16grams a day. So you're looking at a range of 240g to 480g every 30 days. There's 454g in a lb, meaning your average lb will last you probably around a month for a mid sized green cheek.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great answer!