• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food portions for cockatiel

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hello again, you were very helpful on my last post so I have another question.
How much food do I give each day in his bowl? He is around 3 months old. If you could tell me in tsp or spoons that’ll be more helpful haha. For seeds/pellets and veges.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What pellets do you feed him? I think on most bags of food it will tell you how much per species to give. Like on my Harrison's bag it says the smaller Conures should get between 2-5 teaspoons of pellets a day. So far at 6 months old Tobias will almost polish off 2 full teaspoons and 1 Nutriberry a day. I give him slightly less than 2 tablespoons of mixed veggies chopped up but that's just the amount I've noticed he will almost finish in a sitting so that's what I go by personally not anything else so hopefully its not too much for him. As for seeds I'm sorry that I can't help there the only seeds Tobias gets is in his daily Nutriberry.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feed my tiels about 1 teaspoon seeds, 1 teaspoon pellets, as many sprouts and fresh foods as they will eat, and some Nutriberries and/or Avicakes for treats. They also like the green chunks from Phoenix Foraging and birdie bread. I aim for them to eat 50/50 seeds pellets, or even slightly more seeds.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I haven’t got him yet, I’ve been deciding if I get pellets as well. It would be the Vetafarm one but I’m seeing mixed information if pellets are the way to go and if I give more seeds than pellets.
I currently have a cockatiel mix of seeds.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo and KiKi who are conures get 2 teaspoons of chop first thing in the morning.
Then get 2 teaspoons of pellets and a nutriberrie for foraging.
2 more teaspoons of chop in the evening once they are done with there chop they get another 2 teaspoons of pellets that stay in there cages overnight and a nutriberrie.
That seems a lot of food after reading the previous posts i will say both of my birds are extremely active and both hold a steady weight on that diet both are weighed weekly.
Seeds are kept for rewards with the exception of what are in the nutriberries.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I haven’t got him yet, I’ve been deciding if I get pellets as well. It would be the Vetafarm one but I’m seeing mixed information if pellets are the way to go and if I give more seeds than pellets.
I currently have a cockatiel mix of seeds.
You can give slightly more seeds than pellets, just make sure your bird is still hungry enough to eat the pellets. Pellets provide vitamins and nutrients that aren’t found in seeds, so they are a convenient way of making sure your bird gets everything he needs, and therefore should still be a part of the diet.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Mojo and KiKi who are conures get 2 teaspoons of chop first thing in the morning.
Then get 2 teaspoons of pellets and a nutriberrie for foraging.
2 more teaspoons of chop in the evening once they are done with there chop they get another 2 teaspoons of pellets that stay in there cages overnight and a nutriberrie.
That seems a lot of food after reading the previous posts i will say both of my birds are extremely active and both hold a steady weight on that diet both are weighed weekly.
Seeds are kept for rewards with the exception of what are in the nutriberries.
Your little cuties probably eat more than tiels because I’m sure they are much more active and probably a little bigger. They also require less seeds than tiels.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I feed my tiels about 1 teaspoon seeds, 1 teaspoon pellets, as many sprouts and fresh foods as they will eat, and some Nutriberries and/or Avicakes for treats. They also like the green chunks from Phoenix Foraging and birdie bread. I aim for them to eat 50/50 seeds pellets, or even slightly more seeds.
Thank you! Very helpful. I’m writing out a meal plan for times of day, would you mind telling me your daily food plan? Do you give them all of it in the morning or spilt it and have the rest in the afternoon?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you! Very helpful. I’m writing out a meal plan for times of day, would you mind telling me your daily food plan? Do you give them all of it in the morning or spilt it and have the rest in the afternoon?
I give all the seeds and pellets in the morning, and then mid morning I give them sprouts, the green chunks, and some leafy greens. At lunch I give them a very small amount of Avicakes, which they may or may not eat. Mid afternoon they get a couple nutriberries to share, and at dinner they get sprouts and chop. On the weekends at mid morning they get bird bread instead, and if they don’t finish it I also give it later in the day.

Poochibird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I give all the seeds and pellets in the morning, and then mid morning I give them sprouts, the green chunks, and some leafy greens. At lunch I give them a very small amount of Avicakes, which they may or may not eat. Mid afternoon they get a couple nutriberries to share, and at dinner they get sprouts and chop. On the weekends at mid morning they get bird bread instead, and if they don’t finish it I also give it later in the day.
Thank you! I have been doing this. Quick question, do you take your seeds out or leave them all day?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you! I have been doing this. Quick question, do you take your seeds out or leave them all day?
I leave the seeds and pellets in all day, but I try to gage how much they will eat without wasting too much. The seeds get eaten well before the pellets.