• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Food poisoning? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey15

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
Hello,
I'm new here and I have an urgent question. On Saturday I went to a party at my brother's house and last night 6 of the people from the party were very sick, myself included. We agreed that the only food we had all eaten was fruit. I am terribly worried because I brought home the left over fruit and fed it to my two african greys and my eclectus.

I called my vet as soon as I heard so many people were sick and that we had concluded the most likely culprit was the fruit. She told me there's not much that can be done right now and to watch my birds for diarrhea or other symptoms of illness and bring them in if that happens.

Until then, does anyone have any advice as to what I can do other than wait? I am so worried. We can't be absolutely certain it was the fruit but that was the ONLY food that all of us who got sick had consumed.

Thank you,
Cathy

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh gosh Cathy welcome to Avian Avenue. I am sorry about what happened. If it were me I would probably start my birds on some probiotics to build up their good bacteria. Definately watch for any signs of changes in their poops and dont wait if they show any signs of illness or change in appetite. I am sure some others will be along here to give you their advice. :hug8:My other thought was Aloe Detox but I would like to see what some others have to say.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You might want to get some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and put that into their water now!...
1/2 tsp per water dish....:hug8:
You can also try GSE in their water 1 drop per 8oz...
http://www.nutriteam.com/gsewhat.html

Last edited:

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
I think a call to your vet was the best thing anyone could tell you to do and you did it so good job. Please update us as to how they are! Hug's Barbie and Isis

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Cathy,
Your birds will show similar symptoms as you have, if they have been infected. There is no magic bullet and your vet gave you the correct advice - keep an eye on them and give them some extra supportive care. By that I mean make sure they are warm, 80f and above, make sure they are drinking and eating. Basically, pay attention and if they show any symptoms of illness get them to the vet.
ML

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Did you wash the fruit before you fed it to your birds? I am wondering if the fruit was harboring Samonella bacteria. If you washed it, you might have been successful in removing some or all of the bacteria. I hope your birds will be fine! The advice you've been given by your vet is very good advice.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
OMG how scary! I hope they will be ok!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If it were one of my birds I would have the herb "slippery elm" on hand ready to give if needed. You can find this at a health food store. There are many good articles on the net about slippery elm, here is one of them.

The Slippery Elm Tree

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Gary. What form do you buy Slippery Elm in?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you. I have been stocking up on essentials such as this.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to The Avenue Cathy.:hug8: Any update, how are your birds doing?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh I hope your babies are ok.

BF had suggested Slippery elm for my elderly dog and it is really helping.

I bought the capsules and I empty the powder in them over her food.

Grey15

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
Thanks everybody for your kind words and advice. It's been two days now and they seem fine. No diarrhea, lethargy, and they're eating well and chatting away happily.

Thank goodness!! I was so worried. One more day to go before I relax completely though.

Thank you again! You guys are great.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Hi Cathy, so sorry to hear of this worry and the sickness. You did not mention what you had drank? That also could have been the culprit. So maybe your birds were going to be safe after all. good luck.:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
You might want to get some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and put that into their water now!...
1/2 tsp per water dish....:hug8:
You can also try GSE in their water 1 drop per 8oz...
Grapefruit Seed Extract - What is it?
YES ACV would be good to use. It will kill the bad bacteria.

I think a call to your vet was the best thing anyone could tell you to do and you did it so good job. Please update us as to how they are! Hug's Barbie and Isis
Yes :highfive: for taking such great care of them.

Grey15

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cathy
OK it's the end of day 3, my birds are well and happy! Whew. I spoke with my brother last night and it turns out so many more people got sick than I knew about at first. How scary! He feels terrible about what happened.

I did learn that my brother did not eat ANY fruit at his party and he was terribly sick too. So, maybe it wasn't the fruit but I'm not taking any more chances like that. From now on my birds only eat what comes out of my kitchen.

I bought a bottle of ACV, should I put that in their water routinely? Once a week perhaps?

Thank you again.

Happy Holidays!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Great news Cathy :)

Status