• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food for kakariki female 3 months old

kyleighblu

Moving in
Real Name
Kyleigh
Hi there I have been doing some reading up on foods for kakarikis and I'm just wondering whether the idea I have is going to be ok for my little girl.
She absolutely loves sunflower seeds and I was going to use these as treats for training. Currently she has a cockatiel mix with sunflower seeds in it so I was thinking of getting her the budgie seed mix and then trill have a fruit and nut pk and a vege pack, all dried various foods and also small bird pellets. So was going to offer her the dried foods and pellets morning and night, seed all the time and sunflower seeds while training. Is all of this ok for her? If I use the dried foods will she still need fresh foods as well?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes you still need to feed the fresh veggies- fruit should only be a treat. I’d personally leave the pellets and dried veggies available all day long and restrict the seed to meal times but I’m not certain of the needs of a kakariki. @Ripshod or @Mizzely might be more clued up on their diets.

I don’t like and won’t buy or use the Trill fruit and nut mix (it has peanuts and as it’s all fruit is quite high in sugars as well as being preserved in Sulfur), I’m not real keen on their seed bar ingredients either so I don’t buy them, their dried veggie mix is probably a better option (but it unfortunately still has peanut in it).

The Trill brand of pellets is ok (I asked Mizzely to check their ingredient list out some time back) but it actually works out a fair bit cheaper to feed a pellet brand that isn’t stocked at the supermarket - I buy the trill pellets every now and then to add to my birds mixtures for a change but to feed it solely would end up more expensive than buying a bigger bag of vetafarm or many other pellet brands.

Reactions: tka

kyleighblu

Moving in
Real Name
Kyleigh
Oh ok, fair enuf. I'm new to having a kak so wanna make sure I do the right thing by her. Ok so no to the trill stuff, that's fine. I'm in Tasmania so I'm not sure what brands of stuff to look for. We have petbarn and petstock here so I can look at them for other brands (needs to be a cheap brand of things thou, as long as it's good of course). Fresh stuff I can do no probs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve found vetafarm to always be in stock (unlike many of the brands that are imported, they often are out of stock here) and all my birds get fed vetafarm pellets. They also get other pellets as I like to mix a few brands together.

I worked out the price difference a while back (for myself and another member) of a bag of vetafarm and the equivalent weight in bags of trill pellets and the vetafarm worked out cheaper. The trill is sold in much smaller quantities so it appears cheaper.