• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

food for baby

razer

Meeting neighbors
My birds are 4 weeks old. I know they are not weened 8-10 weeks. They bigger one is already flapping his/her wings and not much room for the smaller one . I have 2 questions.
1. can I give them human baby food. 2. When can they be put in the cage with mom.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
can I give them human baby food
No. Use hookbill formula. Kaytee, hagen, nutribird whichever you have been using. Don't change the formula.

(edited to fix the quote)

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do not give them human babyfood. A lot of it is fortified and contains higher amounts of vitamins and minerals that is safe for a bird, it may contain things that birds cannot digest or which are toxic (anything from onions to milk) or it may not be nutritious enough to support the needs of rapidly growing chicks.

Keep giving them formula designed for baby parrots.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@razer I've looked back through some of your posts and I don't believe you have ever purchased any commercially made hand feeding formula for feeding your cockatiel chicks. If you are going to continue allowing your pair to breed ( Please tell me how many clutches of eggs your female has laid since the beginning of this year.... At least three clutches?) you need to have formula on hand. Maybe you do but I can't see it in any of your threads.

razer

Meeting neighbors
I have had food for feeding the baby birds for a while now. The male bird escaped out the window at least 1 month ago. There are 2, 4 week old babies doing well. Also when can they be put in the cage with mom. The first born is the same size a mom.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What is the end goal? To keep both chicks? If so, you would need nice large cage for 3 ´tiels. Maybe a double flight cage (the ones with the divider in the middle - they are really large and can be divided if anything kicks off)

If you are going to sell/gift/rehome the chicks, cage them alone once they are fully feathered and they can go to new homes a week after weaning.

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have had food for feeding the baby birds for a while now. The male bird escaped out the window at least 1 month ago. There are 2, 4 week old babies doing well. Also when can they be put in the cage with mom. The first born is the same size a mom.
If you have a commercially made hand feeding formula then why would you asking about feeding human baby food?

What is the formula brand you have.

razer

Meeting neighbors
Hi I read it on the internet and I was just curious. The brand is called Pretty Bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am not familiar with the formula but Pretty Bird Species specific is a pellet I use in Burt's pellet mix.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi I read it on the internet and I was just curious. The brand is called Pretty Bird.
I'm glad you asked about the baby formula. When ever you have a concern or want to verify what you read on the internet it's a good idea to ask here. Keep your babies on the Pretty Bird formula and if you don't have any of this brand pellets in a size for cockatiels you might purchase a bag to help transition your babies to pellets in their diet when the time comes.