• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food for 4 Big Macs!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
I'm just gonna move in with you and you can cook:hehe: that looks delicious!!!

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
Admins can we make this a sticky for future references?

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Just when I thought I was being so good with Rigby's diet - I had to open this thread!!! :faint:

I need to up the ante NOW!!! :D

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Okay, what kind of dried veggies should I get :D
I want to order this weekend
All of mine love green beans, peas, brocoli, and spinach ( I get these from Nuts online) sweet potatoes, and the Just Tomatoes "Hot veggies" (From Kathie)
The fave fruits are the bananas (Nuts online), papaya and Kiwi (from Kathie)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Staring my birdie food ritual this morning, one of our neighbors just brought me a bunch of fresh peppers from her garden, so I am adding those to the mix. She doesn't use any chemicals at all in her garden and says she is going to plant some stuff just for our birds in the spring!!

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What a great neighbor!

Matt

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

****Be very careful when you buy you dried fruits and veggies....they cannot have sulfur dioxide or other unsafe additives***(Sulfur dioxide is a big one used in some dried fruits and veggies to protect their color and flavor... it is very not healthy for our birds!!!!)
Most of the dried pre-packaged fruits and veggies you see in the grocery store have sulfur dioxide. Also... lots of them have sugar and or salt... not acceptable either.
Thankyou for making this clear I cringe when I see dried fruit being fed for that very reason. What a good mom you are :)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The dry mix batch I make up this weekend will be all organic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dance4::dance5::laughing12::dancing::dance4:

All ingredients are from North Bay and Nuts-on-line......

However.......the people at our house will be eating peanut butter sandwhiches for a long time!!!!!!!!!:huh: :lol:

birdiebaby

Strolling the yard
Wow! Talk about pampered birds!!! :lol:They're really lucky to have a human that cares that much about them! :)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I keep telling myself to update my birdie bread ingredients list.... finally, here it is:

Here is my list I use when I make my birdie bread..... not every ingredient goes into every batch...but it's usually close....I have been using these ingredients for quite some time and both Avian Vets I use have approved the ingredients. (They both were a little surprised by the list!)

I don't really follow a specific recipe anymore, I make it so often that I can kind of know how much to put.

Everything is Organic when possible

LIQUIDS

Juice (Cranberry, carrot, orange, watermelon)
Eggs (No shell)

FRUITS/VEGGIES (thoroughly cleaned)

Cranberries
Raisins
Figs (chopped)
Pumpkin (canned or pureed)
Sweet potato (pureed)
Bananas (pureed)
Papaya (chopped)
Lemon (chopped w/rind)
Peas (whole)
Corn (whole)
Broccoli (pureed)
Carrots (pureed)
Artichoke (pureed)
Celery (pureed)
Cucumber (pureed)
Jalepeno pepper (pureed)
Red bell pepper (pureed)

OILS

Coconut oil
Coconut butter
RPO
Almond oil

DRY INGREDIENTS

Pellets ( Tops & Harrison's ...soften in juice)
Flour (buckwheat, Garbanzo beans, Rice, etc)
Grains (Barley, red wheat, Quinoa, etc)
Oatmeal
Hemp seed hearts
Flax Seed
Chia Seeds
Milk Thistle Seeds
Pepper Flakes
Baking Powder (Aluminum Free)
Sesame Seeds

SPICES/HERBS (small amounts)

Cinnamon
Tumeric Powder
Thyme
Sage
Rosemary
Oregano
Sea Kelp Powder
Cayenne Powder
Garlic Powder
Red Chili Flakes

I use glass or stone pans only!!!!! When I only had Anna I made "mini-muffins" I used unbleached / non-colored mini-muffin papers and just gave her the whole thing to eat... can't do that anymore... I make 4 large 10x15 pampered chef large bar pans which lasts about a week.

I grease my pans with coconut oil

I keep it pretty dry and I don't fill the pan more than 1 inch deep so that it isn't mushy when done.

I usually sprinkle something they like on top such as chopped almonds or hemp seeds and a little cinnamon or cayenne powder.

As soon as it is done I get it out of the baking pans onto cake cooling racks.... once cool I store it in BPA free plastic containers in the fridge

My birdies prefer that it is not frozen, but you can freeze it. I warm each serving on a paper towel the microwave before serving, if you do this, be sure there are no "hot spots" before you serve it.

MMBURKE29

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Muriel
I'm just gonna move in with you and you can cook:hehe: that looks delicious!!!

I want someone to make me a signature like yours! very cool. BTW I am going to try these receipes this weekend too. With my new addition of Kelly, the diabetic bird, I have to stick to whole products that give the most bang for the buck. The bread sounds good with alterations that is .....

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Zookeeper23

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Candice
Hello,
I have a picky boy and am wondering about this whole bird bread thing. He wastes almost all of the fruits and veggies i give him every day. always trying new things but his last home fed him very poorly. How does it work with serving sizes? Is birdie bread a snack? Is it along with pellets? How does it work? :confused:

militarybrat2012

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I am also hoping to help harry find his love for veggies.. he throws them at me if they are green..lol. he likes his fruit, but im hoping to try my hand at some birdie bread this week.. maybe i can convince him its good..

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should see and smell the chop mine get! Yours does look awesome! I use 4 kinds of organic rice, including wild, quinoa, steel-cut oats, Bob's 13 bean mix, mint, red kale, cilantro, fresh ginger, organic dandelion greens, sweet corn, peas, yams, sugar snap peas, parsnips, carrots, hemp seed, couscous, and add some squash, fresh fruit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.