• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

food dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven

Meeting neighbors
Hi All,

My new GC Conure is sitting in her food dish & sort of like running in it & all the seeds get all over the place & then her dish gets almost emty.
I tried to put the hood on the food dish & she climbed into the food dish with the hood on it & the hood popped off. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I was thinking of buying one of the food cups that is like ceramic that is hooded but I wonder if she would roll in there too, unless I get a small one that she can't fit in.

I know she is doing this because she just wants to come out & play, but I am worried when I am not home she may run out of food.

Thank you!

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I have this same problem with my tiel Mikey.. :rolleyes: He doesn't do it all the time but when he gets going.. :lol: There's not much I can do being he is disabled so I need to make eating easy for him and changes upset him.. Hopefully someone comes along with a suggestion for you.. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried having two dishes in two different places? Maybe she will only do it with one?

Also, is the only food on the dish seed?

~*~ Sent from my phone, so please excuse any typos! ~*~

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Have you tried deeper dishes? Deep enough so she couldn't flip the seed out as much? I've never had this happen because I don't feed all seed. It is only a treat for my birds. I'll sprinkle just a few on top of the veggies, fruits and other goodies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My red belly does this, or he'll sit on the edge of the dish and reach his foot backwards into the dish, grab a clawful of food and fling it :huh::rolleyes:
I set up two different dishes for him, one with the regular food in it and one that is strictly mash, fruits or veggies, which are his favorite thing. He still does it occasionally, but now that I put his regular food in a different dish on the other side of the cage and put his favorite foods in that dish, he doesn't do it as often.

As to clean-up, I highly recommend you invest in a Pomeranian. They are state-of-the-art floor cleaners and you won't even know you have a messy house full of birds because your floors will be pristine! :rofl:

raven

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I have 2 food dishes, one for seed & one for fruits & veggies, she does this with just the seed dish. She loves her seeds & fruits & veggie's.

I do have a doberman & a german shepherd that does really good cleaning up LOL!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What kind of diet Is your Conure on? Just the seed mix? I find if you feed seed all the time in a bowl/dish they will fling seed to get to their favorite seeds. Thus wasting a lot. Please make sure your feeding her a balanced diet if PELLETS and fresh foods and sprouts. Dry form of seed is not that healthy. Equivalent to us eating potatoes all day long. Not healthy if fed in abundance. Moderation is the key.

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
LOL i dont have a fancy breed of dog i have a Molly which is the equivalent to the best food processor/garbage disposal on the planet:lol:Betty would not be caught dead in her food dishes flinging food she is a lady. Dixie on the other hand does toss Molly some then quacks at her about it. I have many dishes, different sizes and colors with tiny bits of different foods from pellets to veggies and cooked foods and a fruit/veggie nut mix. Both of my girls have different foraging food toys that i put either fresh foods or some lafebers or treat stick pieces in so they are constantly moving around searching for tasties. Not sure if this helps but Conures can be messy as i am finding out but as long as they are having fun then its ok with me and Molly :D

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I was going to suggest the Tidy Seed too! My fids have only pellets and water in their cage (and a tiny bit of millet hidden around) They get their fresh food/mash/sprouts outside of cage only(cuts WAY down on mess):hehe: Herb Salad is in the bottom of the jolly ball and again, bits of millet are hidden in different spots in their play area.
Oh, I do have wheat grass growing in a crock inside the cage as well.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
She should have a pellet based diet. I suggest you start converting her to one as soon as possible. I think deeper food dishes, and less food in them should help prevent the wasting of food.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
How does your gcc have his water, you didnt mention a bowl for water? Does he have a water bowl or a suspended dripper. My gcc jumps on and out of his food bowls - when he wants a bath. So off he goes to the sink for a good soaking under running water whilst sitting in my palm

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Do you have a seperate dish for foot toys? Maybe she'd be fine wutg throwing out pony beads and lolipop sticks.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What brand of pellets should I buy for her?
I've had the best luck making the switch using budgie sized zupreem natural. You can try different sizes or brands also, but this is what i always start with.

raven

Meeting neighbors
I've had the best luck making the switch using budgie sized zupreem natural. You can try different sizes or brands also, but this is what i always start with.
Oh good, I have that brand for my cockatiels & they like it!

raven

Meeting neighbors
How does your gcc have his water, you didnt mention a bowl for water? Does he have a water bowl or a suspended dripper. My gcc jumps on and out of his food bowls - when he wants a bath. So off he goes to the sink for a good soaking under running water whilst sitting in my palm
She has a water bowl for drinking water, she likes to take baths in a shallow bowl when she is in my kitchen, also loves the running water.

Actually I was watching her today when she was eating & she sits in her food bowl & eats & when she is moving around she gets the seeds out on the floor she doesn't actually throw them out.

Thanks for the replies!!

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I feed my GCC a wet mash of fruits, veggies, cooked beans and brown rice, sprouted seed and pellets. He can't toss it everywhere as easily as he can with straight dry seed because it sticks to his beak. He flings it sometimes, but I feed him smaller portions twice a day so he knows not to waste his food. Plus this way of feeding is much healthier and exciting for him, in my opinion.
Good luck with your messy girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.