• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Coloring..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nicole, there is special gel like intense food coloring for wood parts. I think cabirdnerds has it, though I've never colored wood myself...to lazy :eek::lol:
Besides the birds don't care if the toys are colored or not. Usually the coloring is just to please the owner. Important to birds is the ability to destroy a toys.
ML

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Do you dilute it at all? What ratio to the food coloring do you use?
I do not dilute the rubbing alcohol as it all evaporates in the drying process. Rubbing alcohol is best when you use the 70% strength. It also works much better than the vinegar when dying rope. You use 1 to 2 parts rubbing alcohol. When mixing with rubbing alcohol you can also store the mixture longer as it doesnt go bad as quickly. You can also use a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol if you prefer.

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks!! I am going to go look for the gel/powder food coloring for icing this week. And get some 70% rubbing alcohol.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Wally World carries Wilton's in the party deco area. Michaels also carries it in the cake decorating section.

hsmoscout

oh, I am learning so much from this thread! :D

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Me too, haha! I'll go look again at Walmart, that's where I got the liquid stuff. :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Besides the birds don't care if the toys are colored or not. Usually the coloring is just to please the owner. Important to birds is the ability to destroy a toys.
ML
I totally agree but others will swear that their birds like certain colors to others...

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
I am pretty certain that some birds do have color preferences - they are individuals after all. Koba seems to be more drawn to her bright colored toys than the natural or dull ones.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I know everyone has been asking lots of questions about dye wood with food coloring and especially Wilton's. I have updated directions for Wilton's and am sorry if anyone has tried to already mix theirs with poor results. These are the corrected directions:

For all colors EXCEPT Sky Blue:

Heat 1 cup of water in Microwave for 90 seconds. Almost boiling.

Add Wilton's Coloring and mix well. You may want to let it sit for about 10 minutes stiring ocassionaly to help dilute.

Poor into container. Poor into container with 3 cups of rubbing alcohol.

For Sky Blue:

Heat 1 cup of water in Microwave for 90 seconds. Almost boiling.

Add Wilton's Coloring and mix well. You may want to let it sit for about 10 minutes stiring ocassionaly to help dilute.

Poor into container with 4 cups of rubbing alcohol.

Dye wood. The wood only needs to be dipped and removed. You do not need to leave the wood sitting in the dye for a long period of time.

Store any used dye.

Please note that ants love this stuff so make sure that after the wood dries overnight (may need longer in humid conditions) to store in air tight containers or ziplock bags.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I did not even think about reusing the dye! How silly am I. Thanks for posting this Ann, what kind of container would you suggest storing the dye in. Is plastic okay as long as your not using it for anything else?

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I buy the 32oz bottles of rubbing alcohol from Sams Club. I use these to store my colors and write the name of the color on the side of the bottle with a permanent marker as the blue and sky blue look very similar when in the bottles.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ann, do you refrigerate and how long do you store for before you decide it's time to just throw it away and start a new batch?

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I do not refrigerate. I am not sure how long you can store it as I go through it way too quickly to even think about storing it. Sorry I cant give you an answer to that one.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I promised to keep everyone informed on the Vitacritter situation. Vitacritter is being purchased by Michelle. She is the owner of two online bird stores. I have emailed her and she has told me that she is taking over Vitacritter. She currently doesn't have any of the product in stock. She said that she will keep me posted.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
I promised to keep everyone informed on the Vitacritter situation. Vitacritter is being purchased by Michelle. She is the owner of two online bird stores. I have emailed her and she has told me that she is taking over Vitacritter. She currently doesn't have any of the product in stock. She said that she will keep me posted.
Brilliant! Thank you.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yes, thank you Ann! I'm so glad this product got picked up by someone else. It would have been a shame to have seen it dropped completely. As an aside, which online stores does Michelle own?

Status
Not open for further replies.