• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Coloring..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Is this really safe for your fids? I hear a lot of different opinions on food coloring.

Also, does it color well?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think it if is made from vegetables it should be fine!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Nicole, there is special gel like intense food coloring for wood parts. I think cabirdnerds has it, though I've never colored wood myself...to lazy :eek::lol:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I use vegatable based food coloring. I purchase my food coloring from vitacritter. They are currently going through a transition period. I do sell another brand of dye on my website. However, this is a brand that I do not use. It was something that was used when California Bird Nerds was first starting out.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I used Liquid food coloring (from the grocery store) and we had some powdered food dye for Cake icing both worked great and never hurt my birds - made them different colors BUT didn't hurt them in the least

we humans eat food coloring every time you eat anything colored, - including all those M & M's and Reese Pieces, and any other thing colored and we're perfectly fine

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Do you think I could get good quality large bottles of food coloring localy? If so, where?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Do you have any Bakeries? I would think that would be the best place to look first

I don't mean like a walmart Bakery but like we have one that does nothing but bake sells nothing but baking needs it's an actual Bakery

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Costco or Sams Club should sell the large bottles or your grocery in the baking store aisle.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Thanks! I went out and bought a testing bottle and I am going to see how well it colors tonight. :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Nicole, I've heard different things about it too. Like Ann, I also use Vitacritter and have never had a problem but they're going out of business. I don't know if anyone is taking over them and haven't had the time to call and ask them. I've got some cake coloring coming in the mail that I'm going to experiment with but I haven't asked any questions about it's safety. It's a shame about Vitacritter:(.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I have been in close contact with Tom who owns Vitacritter and also Don who is the California Distributor of Vitacritter. There are talks of someone buying Vitacritter. Nothing is final as of yet. They are both keeping me posted and I will pass on any information as I receive it.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Thanks guys. I want something BRIGHT and not dull. I want to order from VC but I can't afford that right now... :(

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Try the Icing Dye. It comes in either a jelly or a powder and both are safe. If you use the jelly make sure to dilute with water and boil it adding the wood to the hot water and letting it soak for a bit. I heard this tip form a few toy dealers in my area.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks for keeping us up to date Ann. I really think that Vitacritter is far superior than anything I've ever used and I was so saddened to hear that they weren't going to continue. I really hope that someone does buy the business. I toyed with the idea for about a nanosecond!:)

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I dyed some cotton rope and wood this weekend using Wilton cake icing and food coloring. At first I used water, which didn't work (thought I did not boil it), then looked on CA Bird Nerds and it says to mix their coloring with apple cider vinegar or alcohol so I mixed it with ACV and it worked perfectly.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I dyed some cotton rope and wood this weekend using Wilton cake icing and food coloring. At first I used water, which didn't work (thought I did not boil it), then looked on CA Bird Nerds and it says to mix their coloring with apple cider vinegar or alcohol so I mixed it with ACV and it worked perfectly.
I prefer to use rubbing alcohol. I think the rubbing alcohol makes the color more vibrant. The rubbing alcohol evaporates during the drying process and also kills any bacteria or germs that may be in the wood.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
I prefer to use rubbing alcohol. I think the rubbing alcohol makes the color more vibrant. The rubbing alcohol evaporates during the drying process and also kills any bacteria or germs that may be in the wood.
Do you dilute it at all? What ratio to the food coloring do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.