• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food bowl?

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
My budgies'cage came with 4 white plastic food/water cups. That's what I've been using, and so far they've been great, but I just want to know if y'all have preferences on the type of food bowl u use, or if there's anything better.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Generally Stainless Steel bowls are better then the plastic ones, they're more sanitary and easier to clean. Ceramic bowls are also good.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have mostly SS bowls, but a couple I use plastic. I always use ceramic rabbit bowls for veggies (because they are nice and weighty so don´t tip, plus the 12cm diametre means the birds eat nicely together).

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I find ramekins to be a nice size for a single bird.

Lori:D

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zoe
I use coop cups (stainless steel) I also have a plastic box with a perch and a little wall thing so pellets don’t go everywhere :)
I use the plastic ones that came for the cage for storing the hook things from old toys to use for new ones and I have one in the cage for bathing

Birds4evr

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the comments everyone! I've been thinking about switching to SS or ceramic for a while, I just wasn't sure if it was really necessary. I'll probably switch over now though

Jogging around the block
I use ceramic, plastic and SS, I just use it because that's what I have on hand though. If I had thought about it while buying dishes, I'd probably have gotten SS just since it's more durable, I've had a few plastic dishes crack if/when they're dropped over the years. I don't like ceramic that much just because it can't be dropped, at all, ever. But then I also use a ceramic garden pot tray for feeding my aviary birds, since it's the only 'feeder' large enough for the number of birds I have. So I personally don't have a strong preference, but SS is probably my favourite.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use stainless steel & plastic. I wish I could find more stainless steel, preferably not huge that hook on.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I use plastic, but I use a plastic that's much easier to clean for the water. I noticed that some of my plastic dishes for my food is alot less sanitary as it is harder to clean or still has smell of food after washed. I think that with plastic it's just more cleaning to make sure that it is sanitary, not that it can't be sanitary (but please correct me if I'm wrong)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Plastic is porous, even if we can't see it & it doesn't leak. It's not the same as stainless steel. There is better quality plastic though. I'd still prefer hook on stainless steel that doesn't weigh a ton. They all seem to be made for large parrots or hefty dogs.