• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food bowl placement ~ where's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
All of a sudden I'm concerned that I might have the perches too close to food and/or water bowls. Also too high? Are they leaning over too much? :shrug3: So I thought I'd ask all my neighbor's advice :)

Some pictures of your bowl placements would be VERY much appreciated!

Last edited:

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I put my food bowls in different places depending on the bird I am placing it for. If you watch where they pooping you can avoid putting the bowls below those spots. For instance I had a cockatiel who would sit in his food bowl and sleep inside it so I stuck it at the very top corner of the cage where he wouldn't have room to sit ontop of it and he could only eat from it. Where as with Aros I just stick the food bowl about three inches away from the perch and he's fine. Also if you stick a toy above the food like a shredder toy or pinata the scraps that come down can be used as foraging confetti and it will also deter your bird from pooping in his bowl because the toy is in the way of him squatting.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Some of Squeeky's are on his grate at the bottom and some are hung on the sides and back of cage.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Koba's bowls are so big that she just sits on the rim and digs in.. No perch necessary. :lol: Sorry I can't be of more help.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Mine are hung at the front of the cages. I had them at the bottom but they poop in it. I have a ledge close to the food bowls but enough space for them to get to it.

Pics as requested

Chiquita's

Boomers, for some ODD ODD reason he has to put his beads in his food dish. :lol:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby has four bowls in her cage, situated on two levels. Her cooked food bowl is on the left side wall in the allotted built in holder. There is a manicure twisty perch in front of that bowl. Directly above that, one level up and next to her corner perch, is her 'health' bowl where she has her bee pollen, Milk thistle, etc. There is a different manicure perch in front of that bowl. I have the top bowls and perches directly above the bottom ones so no pooping in bowls or perches takes place.

Across on the right cage side wall on the lower level are her water bowl (near the back cage wall) and across from it near the front cage wall is her dry mixture bowl (Phoenix Foraging Food mix) in the built in cage bowl areas. Next to that bowl on the front cage wall is her foraging food box. There is one long manzanita perch attached to the front and back cage wall in front of these bowls that she walks across to get to these bowls.

Last edited:

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
My fids holders are built in. About 1/2 way up, one on each side. Mash / treat dishes are hung in front, some like it low, others higer up. It depends on the fid in my house.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I change their bowl placements all the time depending on how I redecorate their cages. What I always look out for though is if they will have a perch or toy above their bowls that they might perch on and poop their food/water.

also they have 3 bowls in their cages at all times. One for pellets, one for water (those two are always side by side because they love to make soup) and one for vegetables and such which i usually place on the opposite side of their cage so they use their space adequately.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Pellet bowl is down on the ground of their play area near their bea box; away from their pooping area.

They always eat high up; so I figure it is good exercise to have to climb way down.

Their snack bowls are spread around at wheel-chair level.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
All my cages have built in, outside access feeding stations, 2 on each side of the cage. On the left I put in their birdie mash in the a.m and fresh fruits in the p.m. The other feeder on the left is for special snacks and treats; birdie bread, nutriberries, occasional seed. On the right is their pellet dish (Harrison's) and the other is their water dish. The type of feeders I have actually has the dishes on the outside of the cage with a plastic dome cover thing so there is no pooping in the food.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids have 3 dishes that came with their cages, they are attached to their cage. Sammy's cage has them, and so does 1 tiel cage and the conures cage. The bowls are about half way up, but I need some more food bowls, and I also need to move the bowls, and rearange all their cages, cause right now, Sammy sleeps on her food bowl every night, and poops in it? Anyone know why she does that?

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
Batman has a feed bowl down low just above grate level so he can stand from the gruond an eat. He does not like his food bowl any higher though

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
My birds' dished get moved all over the place, pretty much anywhere they won't get pooped in. I figure that if they can fly miles in the wild for food, it's certainly not going to hurt them to have to move around in the cage to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.