• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Bag Freakout

alleykt123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
So, Howard has always had issues with the Roudybush bag. He sees it and gets PO’d, biting and attacking the poor, defenseless package. Because of this attitude, I don’t let him see it. It’s been about 4 years since his last sighting. At the time, thought he was defensive against the bird pics on the bag...

Today I was getting ready to give him some Yo Dips, his daily all-time favorite for years, and he lunged at the bag con mucho gusto. Really?! The fight was on. Again.

Anyone else have Linnies hatin’ on their food packages?

This is soooooo weird. His mood and attitude are normal otherwise...

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh my gosh, this made me :lol:I can't say my birds freak out at the food packages, that's one I haven't heard before!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Interesting. Does he attack any other bags?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Jenks attacks most bags if they are around, he is not a Lennie but he does it too. I think he does it because he knows something good is in the bag and he wants it. Chip bags are the worst but store bags, bird food bags, even zip top bags are not safe any more and are all on his radar to go after. Trying to get one away from him is fun too, we have mastered the distract and grab method.:lol:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea what is going on with Howard! Silly boy! Gigi has never seen her Roudybush bag. I think I'll keep it that way. ;)
She sees her Nutri-berry bag every day, as she patiently stands on my shoulder as I put one in a dish.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco macaw beats the snot out of Zupreem bags, LMAO. I don't know what he has against them specifically, but they're the only bags/packages he'll go for with such vehement rage. Maybe they just make fun noises when they're being mauled?

Birds are weird. :lol:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi has a temper and I do try to avoid doing things that irritate her. Although it's hilarious how quickly she recovers. She will buzz and shriek if I get close to a fave toy, but then fly over to my shoulder and hang out.

I might consider putting your food in a plastic container.

alleykt123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Gigi has a temper and I do try to avoid doing things that irritate her. Although it's hilarious how quickly she recovers. She will buzz and shriek if I get close to a fave toy, but then fly over to my shoulder and hang out.

Henry has a temper - imagine combing a Jack Russell with a pit bull and adding a Napoleon complex...

I might consider putting your food in a plastic container.

Yes! I’ve been doing this for the past few years to try to keep the pantry moths to a minimum.
upload_2019-10-10_12-23-18.jpeg

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
:rofl: This is hilarious I wonder why it’s such a thing? I tried offering a bag to Yoshi to see what he would do but he just tried to eat the pellets that were inside it. o_O

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Henry has a temper - imagine combing a Jack Russell with a pit bull and adding a Napoleon complex...

Yes! I’ve been doing this for the past few years to try to keep the pantry moths to a minimum.
View attachment 316957
Pantry moths are the worst! And once you have them, they seem impossible to fully get rid of. They're why my birds haven't had Nutriberries all summer. I was nearly rid of them but then the Nutriberries. Grrrrr.

alleykt123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Pantry moths are the worst! And once you have them, they seem impossible to fully get rid of. They're why my birds haven't had Nutriberries all summer. I was nearly rid of them but then the Nutriberries. Grrrrr.
The moths are such a nuisance. I’ve started putting new seed bags in the freezer for 24 hours just to try to freeze out any moths/eggs.

Found a great solution that really helps with those pests, BioCare Birdseed Moth traps.
upload_2019-10-11_14-6-1.png

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Leih pantry moths were in your Nutri-berries?!?!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Leih pantry moths were in your Nutri-berries?!?!
Yes!! And I had some of those Caitec birdie bites that were invaded. So frustrating.