• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Bag Freakout

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The moths are such a nuisance. I’ve started putting new seed bags in the freezer for 24 hours just to try to freeze out any moths/eggs.

Found a great solution that really helps with those pests, BioCare Birdseed Moth traps.
View attachment 317085
I wonder if those are like what I've been using, they're sticky and have a pheromone on them. They are really helpful!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes!! And I had some of those Caitec birdie bites that were invaded. So frustrating.
Ick! So far I have had good bags. Gigi would be so sad without her NBs.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Ick! So far I have had good bags. Gigi would be so sad without her NBs.
I don't think it was a bad bag, I think the moths got into the drawer where I keep that stuff and infested the open package. I've been giving mine a few black sunflower seeds, they seem to like them. Do you get the small nutriberries? I got those on accident once, but I should probably purposely buy them since they waste so much.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get these Nutriberries from BeMore Birds:
sunny-orchard-nutri-berries-tiel-10-oz

There is definitely waste, but Gigi really likes going up and down to get the remains throughout the early evening.

And also I got the Mini Roudybush from @Matto after feeding the crumbles for 18 months. She was perfectly fine with the transition.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My birds were all weaned onto Roudybush mini but I recently switched to crumbles. No real reason except the price is a bit lower. I will probably add some mini again at some point, I mix stuff up. Sometimes I'll give them 50/50 Roudybush and Harrisons. Idk I figure variety is the spice of life :wacky:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It's so funny how particular Howard is! My boys Caspar and Emrys will eat nearly anything! Caspar can have a temper but Emrys is incredibly sweet. He always comes to the front of their cage to excitedly greet me while Caspar sits back looking smug hahaha I assume he's thinking "ugh whatever, as long as she gives us the food, and pronto!"

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
The moths are such a nuisance. I’ve started putting new seed bags in the freezer for 24 hours just to try to freeze out any moths/eggs.

Found a great solution that really helps with those pests, BioCare Birdseed Moth traps.
View attachment 317085
I use food grade 100% orange oil in the food tub(s). Just put some of the oil on a couple cotton balls and throw it in (works best in tightly sealed tubs or bags). You have to re-wet the cotton every so often, and although it's safe like that for the bird seed, it will kill any seed moths or beetles. Been using it for years in combination with the freezer and have had no bug issues since.

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
I keep extra bird food in the fridge (or freezer for long-term storage), to avoid spoiling or bugs.

I've heard a few people say that parrotlets get angry at the sound of crinkling plastic, so maybe that's related?

My pionus flies over and lands on my head to beg for food if I pull the roudybush bag out :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes!! And I had some of those Caitec birdie bites that were invaded. So frustrating.
I've bought bird food home to open up and have moths come out! Sickening!.
The moths were terrible this year too!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I use food grade 100% orange oil in the food tub(s). Just put some of the oil on a couple cotton balls and throw it in (works best in tightly sealed tubs or bags). You have to re-wet the cotton every so often, and although it's safe like that for the bird seed, it will kill any seed moths or beetles. Been using it for years in combination with the freezer and have had no bug issues since.
Like the kind you'd use in bakery? The food doesn't absorb the flavor? I guess that wouldn't bother the birds, but would be terrible for my cats. However, I have had more issues with the moths in bird food and treats than cat food.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Like the kind you'd use in bakery? The food doesn't absorb the flavor? I guess that wouldn't bother the birds, but would be terrible for my cats. However, I have had more issues with the moths in bird food and treats than cat food.
Hm, I don't know if it absorbs the flavor, I've not tasted anything :) lol. I probably would not use it in cat or dog food. But no, the birds have never minded and pellets, avi-cakes, etc. have always retained their normal individual smells. I only put it on cotton balls, I don't mix directly on the food. I don't know about the baking kind, I use the kind you can buy in larger bottles sold for cleaning, 100% cold pressed non-toxic. Some bottles say food grade but you're still not supposed to use it in food.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’ve been doing this for the past few years to try to keep the pantry moths to a minimum.
View attachment 316957
We got the pantry moths from seeds and pellets from Pet Supplies Plus; several local stores had issues. They even infested the 20lb bag of Buzzard's pellets and we had to throw them out. :unsure1: Now all of our birds' food gets put into the freezer for at least 4 days before it's used, just to be sure, then stored in air tight containers or ziploc bags that we are very careful to seal completely. In addition, we had to use those enclosed sticky traps specifically for pantry moths and vacuum the scoundrels from the walls and ceiling every few days. Now after months we're finally almost rid of them. Occasionally we will still see one or two, but I'm confident the end is I'm sight. :yes4: