• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Advice

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
Hello everyone,
I just bought my first parrot, which is an fabulous Pionus Menstruus, 1 year old.
I started giving him the food the breeder gave me, and sometimes he eats it (is a kind of pellet with no brand).
I also give him fruit, usually 3 slices of apple.
He's not ready yet to eat seeds from my hand (he's still scared) but we are working on.

I just want to be clarified about the amount of fruit to give him (how many slices of fruit per day? And vegetables?) and also I would be more than happy to accept every suggestion about his diet, since I'm relatively a newcomer in the parrot world and I wish the best for my parrot.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fruit I give infrequently, like maybe 1 to 2 pieces a day the size of a blueberry. Vegetables I do usually 2 tbsp.

Here's my recipe

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
Fruit I give infrequently, like maybe 1 to 2 pieces a day the size of a blueberry. Vegetables I do usually 2 tbsp.

Here's my recipe
Oh thanks! I will prepare your recipe for sure :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You would offer more vegetables than fruits, a large variety since he is young. You can offer a nut every so often too. besides those foods, quinoa, rice, hard boiled egg are all favorites here. (I have 2 Pionus)

There are many good pellet foods on the market and the best one is "the one your bird will accept".

Very little seed for Pionus, as they gain weight very easily.

:welave:

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
Welcome to the Avenue Matteo :starshower1:

@Fuzzy @zoo mom @finchly
Thanks!! :)

You would offer more vegetables than fruits, a large variety since he is young. You can offer a nut every so often too. besides those foods, quinoa, rice, hard boiled egg are all favorites here. (I have 2 Pionus)

There are many good pellet foods on the market and the best one is "the one your bird will accept".

Very little seed for Pionus, as they gain weight very easily.

:welave:
Oh thank you very much, I will buy more vegetables for him. Is it raw vegetables/rice ok, or they prefer it cooked? (eg: carrots, zucchini?)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks!! :)

Oh thank you very much, I will buy more vegetables for him. Is it raw vegetables/rice ok, or they prefer it cooked? (eg: carrots, zucchini?)
Most are fine raw and better that way, however some like sweet potatoes need to be cooked to digest properly. Dark leafy greens should be steamed as that will make the calcium in them bioavailable.

I prefer to cook my grains

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Most are ok raw. Some veggies you might cook are sweet potato, butternut squash, and carrots.

Some experts say you can soak grains and not cook them, and they retain nutrition. I cook rice and quinoa-- probably because I like them cooked myself! I soak teff, an ancient grain. I have a mix made with wheat or kamut, just the dry grain, and most of my flock refuse to eat it.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
These questions also depend on your bird. If he got only pellets and seed from the breeder, he might not like vegetables at first. You will have to “teach” him which food is safe to eat :) so prepare to be desperate at times, but remember to hold on ;-)

my 2 Pi’s got nothing more then soaked bread and seed :( they where ugly as what, their weight was wrong.. yada yadda.. everything was wrong!

Now they are on pellets, and in 2 months i saw the sparkle of their fethers return, their overall look improved.. and we’re not even on the veggies yet! They do love pasta though :)

MattyKingz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matteo
Thanks everyone!
Now I'm trying to teach him to step up and I usually do it with apples (which is the only thing he love besides his food, in english I think is called "fruit blend").
After the first days at home, now he happily eats all his food, so now I will try to introduce him the vegetables and maybe pasta (we are Italian so he will like it for sure! :D)

A curious thing is that he don't like seeds: I read everywhere that parrots freaking love seeds but he's totally uninterested to them ahah