• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food advice

LjLystar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lindy
I’m looking for advice on feeding. Currently have a 12 week old BH and the breeder sent her home with some terrible food. I am fine with the pellets, but the seed portion is sunflowers, and others that I am not able to decipher.

I have adult conures that are on Harrison’s pellets mixed with a very small amount of Verse-Laga seed. All of my birds get fresh vegetables daily, fresh fruit on occasion (typically every other or third day) and sometimes cooked pasta, rice & grains.

This is my first baby. I have always rescued adults. I have pulled the seed out because I’m not fond of fatty seeds and nuts especially for a pi. She does eat fruits and vegetables well and is not shy to try new things.

I do not want to stop feeding fresh food and pellets, but only want to add a small amount of seed as a treat for her as I do for the other birds.

My questions:
1. Is there a recipe out there somewhere of a seed mix I can make for her? Or would the same seed mix that I feed the conures be acceptable?
2. Is a seed mix that is high in fat be find for a baby? And what age should I stop those fatty seeds?
3. Should I just stop feeding seed and concentrate on fresh foods? It’s difficult to change how you feed when you’ve been doing it for so long with others successfully.

TIA

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
first off.. whtever the breeder fed, keep doing it.
its a baby, more so then adults, their systems get easily upset.

slowly introduce the switch to whatever new diet you want to implement :)
What you feed the conures is fine, you just have to change slowly :)

LjLystar

Real Name
Lindy
Thanks Lincee. :)

I haven’t switched the pellets or any of the fresh foods and will probably not but I don’t want to continue giving her peanuts and sunflower seed. The seeds that she was given I think aren’t healthy for her. That’s why I’m looking for a recipe For seed to use in the future.

Last edited:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I agree with you :)

i put my birds on a pellets/vegetables diet, with occasional fruits and seeds :) you just have to make the switch slowly :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only feed sprouted seeds. Leia is on a diet of pellets, vegetables and more occasional fruit. She gets almond slices as a treat.

Personally I wouldn't include unsprouted seeds as a regular part of a pionus' diet. Pionuses have a tendency to put on weight easily and aren't always the most active of birds. They're good fliers but often prefer to sit and watch the world go by.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only feed sprouted seeds. Leia is on a diet of pellets, vegetables and more occasional fruit. She gets almond slices as a treat.

Personally I wouldn't include unsprouted seeds as a regular part of a pionus' diet. Pionuses have a tendency to put on weight easily and aren't always the most active of birds. They're good fliers but often prefer to sit and watch the world go by.
I was going to suggest sprouts but being a baby I wasn't sure. Now that you've advised @tka ...
My advice @LjLystar is head over to the food court & we'll help get you started sprouting. It's really not that much work. Its more nutritious than even... pellets. Its cheaper than fresh after your initial investment. Your whole flock should be eating it @ minimum 1 time a day. I waited & wish I hadn't. The easiest transition of food items I did for my Amazon & what a change! Everything from personality & hormonal disposition to feather quality & blood work @ the vets.

Reactions: tka

LjLystar

Real Name
Lindy
Thank you so much for the advice @Rain Bow . Are there specific ones I should use or stay away from?