• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flytrap mishap + oil = stressed tiel

Tielmum

Checking out the neighborhood
Last night, my baby (8 month old tiel) flew from my should to the dining table and flew to the kitchen counter where the flytrap was laid. Imagine the horror from both of us, I immediately held him to avoid him sticking any other part (like his head) in an attempt to free himself. I didn't know what to do, he started screaming and chomping on the flytrap, so I had to stop him from doing that. The nearest thing I could get a hold of was cooking oil (sunflower oil) since we're in the kitchen and rubbed on the parts that were stuck. He got the trap mainly on his front, both wings were open and also on his chest and he's kind of tilted to his right more. So yes, I was able to get the flytrap off. The next struggle was the oil all over him. I used Dawn detergent to get it off him, well I tried. He was still oily after, so I decided to wait until tomorrow morning. As I expected, his feathers looked decent enough, but you can still tell that it's oily. Tried to make him eat and drink, I gave him millet and he ate a bit. Then on to another warm bath with Dawn. I left him alone to dry and rest for the rest of the day. Talking to him from time to time and he does respond to me when I call his name or whistle. I'm just worried about him stressing, and not eating. Any advice on how to take care of a cockatiel after a stressful/traumatic experience? Thanks in advance.

>You can see in the photo I attached, there are 'bald spots' this is right after the first bath last night. The feathers on his right leg - - gone.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like you did what many here would have recommended! Just keep him warm and have in a quiet area to recouperate would be my advice!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We had the same thing happen with Rhubarb when she flew out into the attached garage as a young one. Vegetable oil followed by dawn is exactly what we did as well. It took her a day or two to perk back up again.

Keep an eye out for dragging a leg or a wing held in an unusual position, as this could signal a broken bone and a need to go to the vet as soon as possible.

Tielmum

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you. This is the second day since the accident happened. He isn't eating if I don't force feed him :( He just wants to sleep most of the time. My husband says it's better to make him a bit active, but I want my baby to rest and have his quiet time alone. He did fly from my shoulder to the top shelf when we were in the kitchen. I guess that clears him of any broken bone/s?

>>>I just took a pic for an update. This is how my baby looks most of the time...

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sure the incident & washing was traumatic but should not have caused him to refuse eating. The residue oil should not harm him & I would not wash him any more with dawn as once or twice is enough.

Just watch him & make sure he is drinking. You may have to offer liquids. If he still refuses to eat you wil have to look further as to what is wrong. Hope all is well. He's likely a she & a cutie.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
We had a 'mob fly attack' inside the house once-- put up a fly strip inside of a small decorative cage, then later designed a 4" x 4" x 18" 'cage' using 1" x 1" wire [or was it 1/2 x 1/2" ?] to hang the fly strip in ... That sure alleviated any chance of an accidental 'fly-in' ! Highly recommended!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would let him rest as much as he needs. I also would take him to the vet, especially if he’s not better by tomorrow, because maybe he injured his mouth or something else and needs Metacam or other treatments. In fact, I would just make an appointment now.