• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flynn’s cere

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My 2 year old male budgie is recessive pied and has always had a pink cere. Recently I became concerned as I noticed his cere was changing, and going almost blue at the top and faintly brown at the bottom. I took him to an avian vet, and she isn’t too sure what’s happening so I wanted to put it here to see what you all think.

The vets opinion is he is too young to have testicular cancer and it would be surprising if that’s what it is. Her recommendation is to continue observing him for now and keep her updated on any more changes to the cere.
The vet does have an interesting theory, that the brown on the cere may indicate female hormone. She is wondering if Flynn may actually be part female, and have an ovary as well as testicles.
The only way to know with certainty would be to do a CT scan which he would need to be anaesthetised for. I am a little wary of putting him through that unless there is a benefit for him. We would be finding out if there is an ovary just to know, knowing or not knowing doesn’t make a difference to Flynn’s health. Cost isn’t an issue- the vet may even do
I will attach a photo of Flynn’s cere.
I’m just interested to hear thoughts, if I should be requesting particular tests or could be doing anything else?

Attachments

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I forgot to mention- apart from this change to Flynn’s cere, he is eating well, flying, playing and his normal happy and silly little self.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure what's up. Maybe a before picture of his cere would help some of the others.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know... but dang he's cute!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My blue boys have standard blue Ceres, and when it is ‘the season’ they will become a more intense and brilliant blue. Is it perhaps a mating season change to his cere that will go away in a couple of months?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My blue boys have standard blue Ceres, and when it is ‘the season’ they will become a more intense and brilliant blue. Is it perhaps a mating season change to his cere that will go away in a couple of months?
My vet believes that the change to brown indicates eostrogen

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Marzipan's a recessive pied. His cere has always been in between the before & after shades. It is quite the change. Could it be just because he's past his prime? After all, human hormone levels vary throughout life.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a general question, but are birds affected by foods that have estrogen mimics? I think soy being one of them?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Marzipan's a recessive pied. His cere has always been in between the before & after shades. It is quite the change. Could it be just because he's past his prime? After all, human hormone levels vary throughout life.
He’s only 2 :(

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
My guess would be hormonal changes as well. And wow, I don't think I'd put him through any CT scan unless there was something that indicated illness. Anesthesia scares me for our tiny babies, maybe it's just me. He's a cutie!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
M
My guess would be hormonal changes as well. And wow, I don't think I'd put him through any CT scan unless there was something that indicated illness. Anesthesia scares me for our tiny babies, maybe it's just me. He's a cutie!
Me too. I guess my concern is that the browning cere could be indicating cancer, even though the vet doesn’t think so it isn’t really definitely ruled out.