• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying with by Fids (and terrified)

julietta

Moving in
Real Name
Julietta
Hello everyone!

After deciding to rescue two IRN's, I made the commitment of becoming their lifelong guardians. I am now moving from Oman (in the Middle East) back to my home country of Canada. It is not an option for me to give them to another family. I am doing everything I can to prepare them for the journey (eg. the modified carrier is constantly loaded with treats and left out in the living room), and I have heard a lot of good things about KLM and West Jet, which are my airline providers. Unfortunately they have to go in the cargo hold.

And I am terrified. I don't know what I would do with myself if either one of them died during the flight. Has anyone successfully transported their birds by plane? Looking for tips and reassurance, if you have any.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Its done all the time cross US but don;t know those airlines or how they take care of pets. Make sure carrier is screwed closed not just plastic tabs. Get details...there is usually no water just fruit & seeds/ pellets

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@camelotshadow what about using the water bottle feeders? I totally agree with making sure the carrier is secured shut.

@Icey I remember you mentioning something about traveling with your babies.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I would also make sure the carrier is clearly marked "live birds fragile". I think animals are handled differently than baggage but I will still mark it.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
@camelotshadow what about using the water bottle feeders? I totally agree with making sure the carrier is secured shut.
I would also make sure the carrier is clearly marked "live birds fragile". I think animals are handled differently than baggage but I will still mark it.
A water bottle is a good idea also make sure to put something soft in the bottom of the carrier. We travel with our fids and on long trips they find it hard to hang onto a perch for so long and often go on bottom of the carrier to travel more comfortably.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
why can't they go under the seats?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

A lot of international flights don't allow this, is my understanding, due to the additional paperwork needed

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
When I moved, they told me they might disturb other passengers. International flights are stupid! I even offered to pay for another seat and they said no!
I was so worried the whole time! It seemed like the longest trip ever! Then when we landed, I started to run make sure they were okay, but the military decided there must be a reason why and detained me longer. My babies! That made no sense to them or they thought it was funny. Who knows which.
Mine had to be marked in both Spanish and English, so make sure the airline tells you all the tricks!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@mythic55 Might be able to give you some tips as I believe she brought her birds into the U.S. from overseas (Middle East also). If I remember correctly, getting the paperwork was the biggest hassle.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Might be able to give you some tips as I believe she brought her birds into the U.S. from overseas (Middle East also). If I remember correctly, getting the paperwork was the biggest hassle.
Don't even get me started on the paperwork! It was easier and cheaper for me to travel than my fids. Contact the Consulates AND embassies both where you start AND end.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Don't even get me started on the paperwork! It was easier and cheaper for me to travel than my fids. Contact the Consulates AND embassies both where you start AND end.
Tax payer money hard at (slow) work all over the world.

Reactions: LSA

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I once worked at the Brazilian Consulate in NYC and I'd have to say while the peons worked, if the necessary Consul wasn't in or had disappeared for the the day, darn all happened. And I'm talking about IBM Selectric, legal size paper and carbon copies ... photocopies were not acceptable due to the "possibility" of tampering. Circa 1977-1978.

Worked there until we moved to MN. Had to surrender my normal Brazilian passport and have a "diplomatic" one issued which arrived about the time we moved to MN in mid Aug/Sept '78.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Everyone, me and fids, survived! So will y'all! If you can, pay extra and avoid as many stopovers as possible. My carrier was Continental. Luckily, I had family a few hours from Houston. They drove us to AR.

Coming back was much easier but still had lots of paperwork, proof of ownership and health exam issues. My father had an easier time getting guns into Argentina!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@julietta I can well imagine you are frightened for them to go in cargo. The only experience I have with this is with a dog. From Florida to Texas, and it was September. I know that at times the airlines will put an embargo on pets flying in cargo if it is too hot of weather for the successful travel. My Charlie did make it back to Texas, but from the time he boarded, to the time he arrived, it was a very long time, with a layover in Atlanta. The embargo was lifted, but the entire experience was very scary. I found this at the KLM website, they only mention dogs and cats, but I wonder if they would not allow birds under your seat if they allow our furbabies. Travelling with pets - KLM.com

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Everyone, me and fids, survived! So will y'all! If you can, pay extra and avoid as many stopovers as possible. My carrier was Continental. Luckily, I had family a few hours from Houston. They drove us to AR.

Coming back was much easier but still had lots of paperwork, proof of ownership and health exam issues. My father had an easier time getting guns into Argentina!
Aaah, (I am being extremely sarcastic here) but guns are NORMAL for Argentina - birds going anywhere on a plane aren't!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Aaah, (I am being extremely sarcastic here) but guns are NORMAL for Argentina - birds going anywhere on a plane aren't!
It's the same in TX and AR. They tried to set a knife-ban here in AR only to have a wild uproar! They claimed it was only for certain types of knives, but I had one in my pocket right then!
Parrots down here are considered useless. "They don't feed you or herd other animals or eat pests. What good are they but to waste money on?" Like that attitude is new!
My neighbors actually debated what was the best birdacide.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I had to use a "dog-style" crate, so check with your carrier about acceptable crates and the types of foodstuffs allowed. I found it easier to ship cages using DHL. Unfortunately, not all countries use their services. Find out what international transport companies are local.
Health exams and ownership papers were only good for a few days!
It seems like alot, but by contacting your consulates and your carriers most questions will be answered. They'll even tell you which vets are approved to do the paperwork for your fids. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question and there's no limit to the number. It sounds harder than it is!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's the same in TX and AR. They tried to set a knife-ban here in AR only to have a wild uproar! They claimed it was only for certain types of knives, but I had one in my pocket right then!
Parrots down here are considered useless. "They don't feed you or herd other animals or eat pests. What good are they but to waste money on?" Like that attitude is new!
My neighbors actually debated what was the best birdacide.
The "usefulness" of several neighbours is probably something you and I could debate til the cows come home, along with the member who has "INP" (irritable neighbour person).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I had to use a "dog-style" crate, so check with your carrier about acceptable crates and the types of foodstuffs allowed. I found it easier to ship cages using DHL. Unfortunately, not all countries use their services. Find out what international transport companies are local.
Health exams and ownership papers were only good for a few days!
It seems like alot, but by contacting your consulates and your carriers most questions will be answered. They'll even tell you which vets are approved to do the paperwork for your fids. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question and there's no limit to the number. It sounds harder than it is!
Production of "over paperwork" doesn't hurt to have on hand even if it isn't required. Keep the extra to yourself until asked.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I flew within the us with my two birds in an in cabin carrier at my feet.