• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying outside of his cage

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
A perch on the outside of the cage is very helpful for my guy. I put little bits of food in lots of places for him, and his favorites inside if I need him to go in. He has trouble with big mirrors but he really likes looking out of the windows. He has an open cage most of the day. He enjoys the play stand and perches I have for Monaco, and it may help to "station" him with something like that.

Mantis64

A perch on the outside of the cage is very helpful for my guy. I put little bits of food in lots of places for him, and his favorites inside if I need him to go in. He has trouble with big mirrors but he really likes looking out of the windows. He has an open cage most of the day. He enjoys the play stand and perches I have for Monaco, and it may help to "station" him with something like that.
I never knew you owned a canary @Monaco that's nice. I dont own a canary so sorry I cant give much advice but you have already been given great advice.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is important to bird proof the room before letting any bird out of their cage. With a bird so small, be sure to block small spaces to avoid them going under sofas, or behind furniture. You can stuff towels to block them.
Close curtains, turn off fans, cover mirrors.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It is important to bird proof the room before letting any bird out of their cage. With a bird so small, be sure to block small spaces to avoid them going under sofas, or behind furniture. You can stuff towels to block them.
Close curtains, turn off fans, cover mirrors.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH RADIATORS

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I always for get about radiators because I haven´t had one in 9 years.
Good call :)
I have a single layered (any people know what I mean? Probably not lol!) radiator. It was something I hadn't noticed as I was too busy sorting the windows. One fell down it but not all the way. We had to lever the poor thing out. Now, I make sure something is there to prevent it!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have a single layered (any people know what I mean? Probably not lol!) radiator.
I have no idea what you mean. :laugh:

Letting them fly... the hardest part (if they're not hand tame) is getting them back in the cage without creating a bad experience. So I have a little food/water in the room but mostly in the cage. Also the first few times you might let it out in the last 2 hours before bedtime - that way he'll go back to the cage to sleep. We hope.
As the others have said just watch for ceiling fans, hot surfaces etc. I find it helpful to create perching areas up high, at least in the beginning until they learn their way around. Also if you have dogs or cats -- either remove them entirely from the room or make sure your bird knows the escape route.
Oh - oh - oh also water, they can drown in the toilet or even a bowl of water sitting out. Sigh. We have to watch everything!

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Or an open top turtle tank ;)
Yeah there's this open fish tank for sale on Craigslist. One of those zero edge tanks, the water flows over into a moat around the tank .... I can't have that.

Right????

I really want it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Most of my birds have taken a swim in the pool their first time out inside the pool cage. (It's a great place for them to sun and play).

The first few I jumped in .... then I learned they can swim to the edge and even un-tame ones will come to me for a rescue. Then they never make the mistake of flying in again.

mak

With a bird so small, be sure to block small spaces to avoid them going under sofas
When I brought home one of my budgies the first thing he did when I turned my back for ONE second, was to run under my recliner. I couldn't see him under there so I tried coaxing him out with some millet. When that didn't work I tilted back the entire chair and...... he wasn't there! I was baffled until I heard chirping from IN THE CHAIR! That's right, within a half hour of getting him home he managed to find a rip on the underside of the recliner and get himself stuck. I managed to get him out in the end but it was a pretty stressful first day.