• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying on Airplane with Bird

Zazu123

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I am moving across the country late July and I just got my conure his airline travel carrier. I got the best I could find to make the trip as comfortable as possible. It’s the Celltei In-Cabin Airline Carrier. I have all the airline stuff figured out, now I was just hoping to get tips on how to get my conure comfortable in the carrier. I was thinking of using it as his sleeping cage for the next few months so he is as used to it as possible. I just want to make sure this wont cause him to yell and scream once I take him on the plane because he might not be able to fall asleep. Any tips? My main goal with the carrier is to make sure he is comfortable and quiet throughout the journey.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt always got his most favorite treat foods and toys put into his carrier while he was getting used to it so he would always see it as a good, positive and happy place, always lots of praise and happy chatter to him while he was in there and now I have no problems with him being in it for hours at a time when I do have to take him for a long trip (like the vet) ...... if he gets a chance he will now put himself in there so I actually have to keep it hidden from him so I do not have to take him for an outing every time he decides he would like to go out lol. The vet was amazed that when she let him out of the towel after his microchip implant he went and happily climbed up the bag to go into it on his own- she said every other bird she sees has to be wrestled into their carriers or cages :(

Make it fun, make it rewarding and make it into a game. This is basically what I was told and exactly what I followed and the results were great for me, I hope the same goes for you too :)

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would have it open and feed him his favorite foods in/around it. then he can begin to associate it with his favorite things. Then try moving onto short periods in it, practice with a blanket over the top - I would recommend you dedicate the same blanket so when you travel he associates being in there with it. It might be more comforting.