• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying into walls

kaylanfloy

Moving in
Real Name
Kaylan Floyd
Hey!
I have a cockatiel and she’s not tamed to the point where she will let me pick her up. I always let her out of her cage and it’s always her decision if she chooses to come out, but sometimes something will scare her and she’ll start flying and hit a wall.

my question is, when she hits the wall and falls to the floor, should I try to pick her up? Or should I keep an eye on her and let her figure it out herself?

because when I go to pick her up I feel like I’m stressing her out more. She tries to run away or fly away 80% of the time. I’m not clipping her wings so that’s not an option.

anything helps!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s very common for cockatiels to get scared and start flying fast. It will get better as she gets more used to your house and figures out the best places to land. Just make sure you cover all mirrors and windows. White noise can also help. If getting her off the floor with your hands scares her, I would try taking her off the floor with a perch or your arm. If that doesn’t work, maybe a long ladder.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would check on her from a distance. Let her get up on her own. If she appears to be injured, then you can step in. As much as you want to help, rushing over and grabbing an untamed bird can add more stress to an already traumatic experience. Instead of offering physical comfort, I would talk to her in a soft voice and kneel down at a safe distance to monitor how she is doing without being too intimidating.

Just be sure to keep an eye on her for any signs of lingering injury after a crash. Sometimes they look okay at first, but hidden injuries have occurred and a vet visit is necessary.

kaylanfloy

Moving in
Real Name
Kaylan Floyd
I would check on her from a distance. Let her get up on her own. If she appears to be injured, then you can step in. As much as you want to help, rushing over and grabbing an untamed bird can add more stress to an already traumatic experience. Instead of offering physical comfort, I would talk to her in a soft voice and kneel down at a safe distance to monitor how she is doing without being too intimidating.

Just be sure to keep an eye on her for any signs of lingering injury after a crash. Sometimes they look okay at first, but hidden injuries have occurred and a vet visit is necessary.
okay this is great thank you so much! She seems okay she’s playing again so that’s a relief. I think I needed someone to tell me that so I wouldn’t go get her lol. But thank you so much!

kaylanfloy

Moving in
Real Name
Kaylan Floyd
It’s very common for cockatiels to get scared and start flying fast. It will get better as she gets more used to your house and figures out the best places to land. Just make sure you cover all mirrors and windows. White noise can also help. If getting her off the floor with your hands scares her, I would try taking her off the floor with a perch or your arm. If that doesn’t work, maybe a long ladder.
The ladder is a good idea! Thank you I hadn’t even thought of that. And by white noise like a fan? This is great thank you!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
okay this is great thank you so much! She seems okay she’s playing again so that’s a relief. I think I needed someone to tell me that so I wouldn’t go get her lol. But thank you so much!
Yeah, I completely understand how you feel.

I have a budgie with balance issues. She can't fly, but if she gets startled, she will jump off her perch and fall. I want to comfort her, but she is scared of hands and does NOT want me to touch her at all. I have to fight against my instincts, because I want to pick her up so badly. But I know from experience she will bite my hand if I try. That is about as clear of a "no" as a little bird can provide.

I am slowly working on building trust with her using lots of millet and patience. It is a slow process. I have also moved her into a new cage with a special layout and lots of platform perches, so she is less likely to hurt herself by falling.

For your bird, I would be sure that all windows are covered while she is out flying and give it time. She will get better.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Also have a vet check her vision.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
A fan would work, or music. Really anything that doesn’t have abrupt noises so it’s not too quiet in there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Actually.., I take a different approach. When my tiel that cannot fly hits the floor, or when Ernie Pionus falls off his perch, I offer my hand. This is a rare opportunity where they might actually want to step up— and they do 9 times out of 10.
I just calmly say up,up. These are the two least likely to step up but it works when they’re on the floor. Go figure!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt hit the window today which he has not done in ages, it was my fault for waving at him through the window- he did not think and just leapt towards me :( He literally comes running to me to sook if he crashes and I have to pick him up and snuggle him close and baby him. It really is awful when they crash, it is so hard to not do what instinct tells us which is to scoop them up and make them feel safe in our hands.

I would do as finchly suggests too and offer my hand to the untamed bird as it may just wish to take your offer as it is less scary than having crashed and being on the floor- if the bird reacts in a way showing you it does not want your assistance and is getting more stressed because of your presence then I would move back and monitor and follow destiny's way of helping the bird.

kaylanfloy

Moving in
Real Name
Kaylan Floyd
Actually.., I take a different approach. When my tiel that cannot fly hits the floor, or when Ernie Pionus falls off his perch, I offer my hand. This is a rare opportunity where they might actually want to step up— and they do 9 times out of 10.
I just calmly say up,up. These are the two least likely to step up but it works when they’re on the floor. Go figure!
She would never step up lol at least yet who who knows