• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying into walls

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I kept my budgies’ wings clipped, but recently they grew out. Spring flew around her cage and broke a blood feather, and Blinky slammed into the wall so his cere got hurt. They are both OK now, I took them to the vet. I was really worried about Spring after reading how bad blood feathers can be. Question is, should I clip wings again? I’m worried to take them out the last time I did Spring flew up, hit the ceiling, and fell. I caught her, and she’s fine. They’re not fully tamed yet though. Is wing clipping a good idea until they’re better tamed? I put pictures of what happened when they flew off and I REALLY don’t want that to happen again. Is there some way to like, flight tame them not to fly into stuff or something?

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I think it would be a good idea to mention that they are both fully healed and happy now. :heart: And that they are already tamed enough to sit on my shoulder or head or finger calmly, until they get startled or bored, in which case they fly away to go explore my house. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Babies fall when learning to walk, right? It's a skill that needs to be practiced. The answer to keeping babies safe is not strapping them to a chair, it is making sure that their environment is safe for them to fall in.

Birds are not born expert fliers. They need time and practice, too. Giving them a large area to work with, giving them bird approved areas they can land on (playstand, perches on the wall, boings from the ceiling, etc),covering mirrors and windows... All help give them a safe area to practice :)