• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying High Bird Sanctuary

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
On the recommendation of Parrotkid (Caitlin) we visited the Flying High Bird Sanctuary a couple of weeks ago. It was fantastic - I loved it and we ended up spending nearly three hours there. Most of the birds are free flying and a couple spent the whole time riding on our shoulders as we walked around. One was the most gorgeous Eccie boy and also a couple of conures (sunny I think). My husband was completely taken with the Conures and kept saying how much he liked them.
They had some beautiful macaws, including a Maui Sunset and the most appealing young Greenwing. If they had had a nesting box big enough to take me I would have moved in :D. Thanks for the recommendation Caitlin, it was fantastic!!!

Here are some photos (apologies I am a really bad photographer, but hopefully you will enjoy them anyway).
This is a very playful B&G
baby blue.jpg
These guys couldn't wait for the food to be divided out, they just hopped in for their breakfast.
bottoms up.jpg
This is the Greenwing who was so cute, he kept putting his foot through the cage for me to play with
green wing.jpg
Not sure what was happening here, there was someone inside the nesting box, but it was all cheerful, there was no arguing going on.
its a meeting.jpg
Isn't he (she) beautiful
Macaw.jpg
somebody's home.jpg
And finally, here is one for Jam!!
yummy grape.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Looks like a wonderful place to visit! Love your photos, the birds look both happy and healthy.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Kathy! :D I believe that will be a Chattering Lory by the looks of it's colouring, what a stunning bird. :cool:

Looks like a couple of Rainbow bums in the second picture too, one normal, one olive I suspect. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What beautiful birds! Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
beautiful pics!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is this a bird rescue?

Here in the states rescue/sanctuary usually are terms for misplaced/abused/etc birds to find temporary (rescue) or long lasting/permanent (sanctuary) housing.

Beautiful pics! The birds seem well cared for and loved!

:heart:

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
Yes it is wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it! and the photos are fine I don't care if they aren't good photography skills they are beautiful photos! Thx for posting :) and no problem about the reccomendation but isn't that what we do on forums... help each other out? :)

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Is this a bird rescue?

Here in the states rescue/sanctuary usually are terms for misplaced/abused/etc birds to find temporary (rescue) or long lasting/permanent (sanctuary) housing.

Beautiful pics! The birds seem well cared for and loved!

:heart:
I think maybe it isn't a sanctuary in your sense of the word. As far as I could understand from talking to the owners they have bred most of the birds including the Greenwing and B&Gs. They apparently sell some of the macaws. But I got the impression that they just love birds and are happy spending all their time (and money) on looking after them. They did all look beautiful and healthy and the place was incredibly clean.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow...an amazing visit! Thanks for sharing. I especially like "tails up" in the food container. :)