• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying high after wings clipped

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello ^^

I finally manged to clip Tweety's wings (only few of his primary flying feathers, i left the first 3 feathers).
It was the best for me for finally letting him out of his cage without worrying about dangerous stuff in the ceiling that i can't reach when he get up there. When i first let him out he tried to fly up high but then walked his way to climbed me.
In the next day i started placing his plates above his cage so he can eat there, but then he mange to fly up high again to the ceiling fans, doors,curtains, closets,etc.

So i'm wondering since he started to being climbed to my shoulder by himself and disturbing me during my lecture by playing with my earrings and pencils but then he flies again high.

Shall i clip the rest? because i'm worried about him as long as he can fly this high with his wings clipped he could get hurt up there. I want to tame him to allow me to pet him and play with his toys but when something scares him he immediately flies to the highest place he can reach, which is so hard for me to get there, especially when i'm so short...
What i'm supposed to do :|

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
You need to clip the first 5 primary flight feathers on each wing. You'll have 6-10 weeks before he needs a trim to decide if this is the right choice for you and your bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
flies to the highest place he can reach, which is so hard for me to get there, especially when i'm so short...
What i'm supposed to do :|
Buy a step ladder.

I can´t reach some spots in my living room, and if the birds give me the run around to go back in their cages, they sometimes fly up there where I can´t reach. I have to get a chair from the kitchen.

Before clipping more, please have a read of this;

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
It's normal for a bird to fly up high when they sense danger - they feel much safer up there, especially if they're small (sorry but I don't remember/know what species Tweety is!)

Are you able to bird proof the high areas? Ceiling fans aren't dangerous unless they're on, you just gotta make sure they're clean. You can also block off the tops of closets to prevent him going up there. I highly recommend a step ladder to ease you off your worries about getting him down from high spots :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

He is unlikely to hurt himself if you take certain precautions, removing dangerous objects, things they can chew, etc. You can block off areas with boxes or stuck on pieces of card or ribbons hanging vertically down (that's how I stop mine flying into the windows).

I'd really recommend leaving them as is, just because a bad clip can be dangerous too. He wouldn't be able to get away if there is a threat, and if he drops to the floor he could hurt himself.

But @Zara posted a good link about this already :)

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Buy a step ladder.

I can´t reach some spots in my living room, and if the birds give me the run around to go back in their cages, they sometimes fly up there where I can´t reach. I have to get a chair from the kitchen.

Before clipping more, please have a read of this;
Thank you!

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
It's normal for a bird to fly up high when they sense danger - they feel much safer up there, especially if they're small (sorry but I don't remember/know what species Tweety is!)

Are you able to bird proof the high areas? Ceiling fans aren't dangerous unless they're on, you just gotta make sure they're clean. You can also block off the tops of closets to prevent him going up there. I highly recommend a step ladder to ease you off your worries about getting him down from high spots :)
Oh yeah he's an Indian ring-necked. I use a chair to get him down ^^*

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Welcome!

He is unlikely to hurt himself if you take certain precautions, removing dangerous objects, things they can chew, etc. You can block off areas with boxes or stuck on pieces of card or ribbons hanging vertically down (that's how I stop mine flying into the windows).

I'd really recommend leaving them as is, just because a bad clip can be dangerous too. He wouldn't be able to get away if there is a threat, and if he drops to the floor he could hurt himself.

But @Zara posted a good link about this already :)
Yeah sure! Thank you