• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I am going to be bring home a hand fed baby Illiger Macaw soon and it will be flighted. I have never bonded/trained a young bird who has not been clipped ( I later let the clip grow out and the bird becomes flighted ). I want this baby to fledge and fly but I am concerned about it's safety and how to proceed when it can fly away from me. How is training different when the bird has the choice to leave your hand? What do you suggest? Thank you, Lynne

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Hand reared baby birds come pre-programmed to want to spend time with humans, there's no challenge there. Without the added challenge of trying to persuade a flighted bird that is wary of humans, you should find that there is almost NO difference between bonding/training a young bird that is flighted vs one that is clipped. When a bird has a CHOICE to leave your hand it makes you consider the methods you train with in more detail. You need to consider WHY the bird might want to choose to do what you're asking, rather than continuing to do whatever had previously been amusing it. The key to that is to make yourself reinforcing - use bits of food, friendly words, cuddles, etc depending on what your new bub seems to enjoy. If the bird is constantly moving away, trying to avoid your hand and even trying to bite, then consider that whatever method you're using might be aversive (or unpleasant) to it, and change the way you're asking. Instead of pushing into their belly for a step up, offer a treat and offer your hand a few centimetres from their belly. If they fly off your hand at cage time, consider what you can do to increase the value of being in their cage - put a favourite treat or toy in the cage to motivate them to go in. There are so many threads in the behaviour section that already detail some great ideas for training flighted birds using positive reinforcement, you should draw from those experiences of other members.

In regards to safety, the notion that a clipped bird is a safe bird is a human concept that holds very little truth. A baby bird that has been permitted to fly from the start will ultimately become a SKILLED flyer. They will easily "think on the wing" to avoid obstacles, and keep out of trouble.

Just my two cents. Training a flighted bird is MUCH more enriching for everyone involved, and will ultimately make you a more considerate trainer. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I don't think you will have a problem at all.....

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I, too don't think you will have issues. Just be sure to have landing spots available. John L. told me this years ago and it was a lifesaver. Then they stay confident and don't latch onto blinds or lampshades etc. I think flighted birds (unless there is an underlying issue) have so much more confidence and because they can fly away, they fly to. Hopes that makes sense. Start some clicker training or something so you can get them where they need to be if it is cage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.