• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fluid Filled Cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Was wondering what does chemo cost at Universities....Just wanting to find out what the prices are like....have no idea....

Thanks for any infomation that anyone could offer......

Thanks

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
They will definitely give you a course of action...a plan and options. The chemo for little Kiwi was reasonable. She had a monthly (approximately) injection that was about $100 or so. The oral chemo was not expensive at all....I was surprised, but Kiwi was a little thing. My lab's oral chemo was more expensive $200 a month for the one pill taken twice a day, but she was a large dog. I can't remember the exact cost but if I find the receipts I will let you know...I think I kept them somewhere. It was definitely worth the cost. She also went biweekly or weekly for taps. My vet always cut me breaks with costs...she was soooo amazing and really loved little Kiwi....

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sending prayers for Betty and hugs for you. :hug8:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
They will definitely give you a course of action...a plan and options. The chemo for little Kiwi was reasonable. She had a monthly (approximately) injection that was about $100 or so. The oral chemo was not expensive at all....I was surprised, but Kiwi was a little thing. My lab's oral chemo was more expensive $200 a month for the one pill taken twice a day, but she was a large dog. I can't remember the exact cost but if I find the receipts I will let you know...I think I kept them somewhere. It was definitely worth the cost. She also went biweekly or weekly for taps. My vet always cut me breaks with costs...she was soooo amazing and really loved little Kiwi....
Thanks Birdlady.....Yes we figured that when we leave there we will have a plan of action and know what we are in for.....I was just wanting a guess on what I was looking at......Thanks for the great info....I figured it would be reasonable and more then anything WORTH it....
You are lucky you have a good vet the only thing ours did that was good was that he is sending us to the Univserity of Guelph....at Creditview he charged us an additional $50.00
to stay around so that he could see how much she drained out WHILE he was seeing another animal.....We were not happy with that at all......
No need to worry Birdlady.....We will keep you and everyone else posted.......:heart:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Birdlady.....
No need to worry Birdlady.....We will keep you and everyone else posted.......:heart:[/QUOTE

Update of our Pretty little Girl Betty....

Betty is spending a couple of days at the University of Guelph they first drained more fluid then they put her in an oxygen tent and being kept warm so that she can get her breathing down and they can run test to find out what is causing all of this water build up and what the lump is. She is going to have all kinds of test done x-ray, ultrasound, blood work, biopsy. EVERYONE wants to find out what is going on....BUT I do know that she is in VERY good hands.

The Vet kept talking Heart, we talked about eveything ovaian, cancer, surgery he kept going back to heart and said that would be medication....so all we have to do is keep our fingers crossed and wait to see what is going on....

We all know that she is at the best place to be taken care of and to find out what is going on....

Will be back with more....

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
So glad you will maybe get some answers soon...I will be thinking of you and Betty over the next few days and checking back for updates.:hug8:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
So glad you will maybe get some answers soon...I will be thinking of you and Betty over the next few days and checking back for updates.:hug8:

Thanks birdlady....willl keep you informed...as the song goes "waiting is the hardest part". But like I said she is in good hands....

Hubby and I said that when she saw the doctors we saw her just relax....it is like she knew that she was in a place that was going to
take care of her and make her feel better...this is the fourth time she is getting tapped....

Will keep you posted.....:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors

Update on Betty!!!!!

First and foremost Betty and her family would like to THANK everyone that has been interested and giving positive thoughts.
Well our little girl is home and looks very good and becoming herself very quickly.

This is a short story of our journey so far........
Betty was put into an oxygen tent and tapped her again and took tests on the fluid they found NO cancer, No tumor, NO cyst but they did find LOTS of inflammatory fluid. They did a CBC and slightly elevated white blood cells and a little undernourished everything was very good, gave her a vitamin shot and put her on antibotics and anti-inflammtory med for 30 days and a diuretic for 10 days. We have to watch her breathing and have her tapped if needed and he will test that fluid everytime. They also did a test for Chlamydia.
Did an ultrasound and the only thing he could find was a very little part of her liver and a very small part of her intestines look different they look inflammed. Everything else looks GREAT nothing her oviary look good, her heart looks good he did not see anything else. We have a recheck and he will do another ultrasound and this time with the Cardio Dept at OVC to consult with

We now have a new Vet and we will be making weekly visits to OVC for tappings until we find out what is causing our little girl to fill with fluid.
Our little girl has stumped eveybody. The Vet was so sorry and very sad that we could not go home without a diagonis When hubby got the phone call after they did the ultrasound he was told that he had to come and pick up our little girl she was honking and making LOTS of noise and acting like the 3 year old spoiled child that SHE is. We were also told that we have to restrict her movement. YEA RIGHT, she does not have a cage she is total free flight she has perches all over the house. Hubby and I laughed our butts off and said well she is bad to normal....and she did miss us thats for sure..as well as us missing her....It is so nice to have her home and have her on meds and filling the house with all of her activity.

Now we just wait and see what the two test they took and for the recheck in September....
Thanks for everyone's concern......:heart:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone.....

Sorry it has been so long since we have had an update.....BUT
thats life and all the things that go along with it.

Just an update on Betty:

She is doing GREAT....she looks good eating VERY good and is
back to her old cranky self, which was not seen for awhile she has had NO water build up at all since the first visit to OVC.

We have been back to OVC twice and go back on the 24th of this month for another recheck and repeat bloodwork.
Al of her bloodwork has been getting better after every recheck.

She has no Parrot Fever BUT she does have a Vitamin A deficiency
Liver Disease unknown aetiology
She was given Baytril for over 30 days then she got 5 days of Metronidazole and every other day we give her Furosemide and now 45 days of Doxycycline.
We have seen a huge difference it is great.

We ALL want to thank everyone that was helpful and encouraging with us in our time of need we want to give all of you a HIGH WING!!!!!!!!!!! hehe Thanks again we will be back after the recheck to let everyone know how these meds are working.

Thanks again....Betty and Family

BettyEating 003.JPG Betty&MiniMoog 022.JPG Betty&MiniMoog 010.JPG Betty&MiniMoog 035.JPG

Before 1st OVC visit After 2nd OVC visit After 3rd OVC visit

:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Thank you so much for the update. That is great news. Betty is beautiful and you sure did capture her having "fun". The information you presented is great and wish the best for continued improvement.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am so thrilled to read this about Betty!
I love happy updates :dance4:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm sooo very happy to hear that Miss Betty is feeling better... :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so glad that she is doing so much better!

Matt

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
What great news! She looks so good! Keep up the good work and give her a scritch from me

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Luvmyfidz

Sprinting down the street
I just read the entire thread an am so happy to read a happy ending! So glad Betty is doing well!! I LOVE happy endings!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Such great news! I'm so happy to hear Betty is doing so well! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.