• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fluid Filled Cyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and my name is Betty I am a 30 year old Orange-Tipped Amazon and I would like as much help and advice on my Fluid Filled Cyst.

We realized she was having trouble breathing about a month ago, so we took her to the vet and we found a water filled cyst. The vet put her to sleep to make sure that is what it was, he took an x-ray to make sure there was nothing else and at the same time he removed as much water as he could. The next day we noticed that there was still a grape sized cyst around her cloaca area again and in 3 weeks she was having trouble breathing again so we took her back. This time the vet was able to remove the water again, but this time he did not put her to sleep. The fluid from the cyst that was removed was taken to a lab and was analyzed. Nothing came back no cancer, no tumor, just a little protein and a small amount of skin cells, everything was clear. The doctor did tell use that it was not in her reproductive area it appeared to be in the skin that is why he was able to remove the water without putting her to sleep this time.

Everyone that is involved would like as much help and advice that can be given. This is the first Water Cyst that our Vet has ever ha. He does not want to operate unless it is the last resort. He is looking for as many alternative methods as possible other then surgery. he has been practicing as an Avian Vet for over 25 years and is the BEST one in the area. He would like some information on this as well. We are all working together to find as much information as possible. I am hoping that someone on this forum has had the same problem as we have had and will be able to help us in any way possible. Other then this Cyst she is in prefect health.

Everyone involved Thanks everyone in advance for all of the help and advice we can get. Even Betty Thanks you.

Olvier,Bettey and tires 035.jpg

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello and welcome to Avian Avenue! I have no idea about this problem, but I do know there is an excellent avian vet who does phone consultation by the hour. Perhaps he would be willing to talk to your vet, if you paid the fee, or let you know what to do, to relay it back. I am not sure of the name, but other members should be along and posting soon that will know who I am talking about. I wish you and Betty the best!:hug8:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Waterfaller1,

Thanks for the welcome....I will keep an eye out for the information....

Betty Thanks you too.....:dancing:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Dotty4,

I will look for Birdlady to see if I could talk to her.....

We just want to put our minds at rest....it is just hard to find information out on these things.....

Thanks again....

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I sent her a message, so she should be here when she reads it.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If the cyst is refilling and causing respiratory distress that means the 'water' is some sort of ascites. I had a cockatiel with reproductive cancer that developed severe ascites. I had to have her belly tapped (water removed) every two weeks so she didn 't get short of breath. Unfortunately with this type of problem there is usually and underlying disease process some where causing the production of the fluid. The cyst and the ascites are a symptom of the larger problem.

What about a consult with your State veterinary college? I know PennState at Temple does a lot of phone consulting with other vets. I once had a cat with cardiomyopathy and had the echocardiogram sent to UofP for a further opinion. Try that idea with your vet.

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the help Dotty.....

I will keep checking my emails......

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hmm..it might be this person? Brian Spears?
Home

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Laurel,

The cyst is filling and we cannot see it until we see her breathing is laboured. We had to drain it again cause he was not able to get all of the fluid out. This time he did and he did not have to put her to sleep....she is doing great now.

The vet also told us that if he could not help us he would send us to the University of Guelph that is the BEST Vet School in Ontario, Canada. So we are on the same page there.

Thanks for the information.....

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
My little Kiwi a parrotlet had what started as an ovarian cyst...we had taps about every other week....testing eventually showed she had cancer....lymphoma. We started oral chemotherapy, injections of a chemo drug, and continued the taps...sometimes weekly. With Kiwi we saw her fluid build up and it was pressing on her air sacs making it difficult for her to breathe. Surgery was very risky due to the location of the tumor. Here is the link to her story....Dr. Latney at U of Penn was her primary vet....she is amazing!

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...er-kiwi-home-kiwi-hospital-kiwis-got-egg.html

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Thanks Laurel,

The cyst is filling and we cannot see it until we see her breathing is laboured. We had to drain it again cause he was not able to get all of the fluid out. This time he did and he did not have to put her to sleep....she is doing great now.

The vet also told us that if he could not help us he would send us to the University of Guelph that is the BEST Vet School in Ontario, Canada. So we are on the same page there.

Thanks for the information.....
The University of Guelph is the best.
There is another member here, Doris from Avian Organics. I know there is a vet very close to there that she always recommends or talks about. She will be on at some point this week.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am sorry the info I had for you was not very encouraging. Hopefully it is some kind of syndrome only birds get and it can be cured. Here is the positive energy and warm fuzzies which I hope help at least a little.

Glad to hear you have a vet school that can help.

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Betty and her family wants to Thank everyone for the warm welcome we have gotten....

Just to let everyone know.....we have had the fluid tested and they have found nothing at all everything is clear, No Cancer, No Tumor, the lab report says that the fluid is typical fluid from a cyst along with that when he had her asleep he took a complete set of X-Rays and found unusal. Our vet has told us that he suggest that we keep draining it he does not want to do sugery to remove the sac he is looking for alternative methods. We are hopeful it has been a week since we drained the second time around and we see nothing this time, so far so good.

Update Betty is doing great she is bad to her old self...just an cranky old lady....:lol:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Yes Dotty, I would take ANY animal to the University of Guelph...they are the BEST....I do like that our Vet said that if he could not do anything he would send us there.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Update Betty is doing great she is bad to her old self...just an cranky old lady....:lol:
I am glad to hear she is cranky :)

How long have you had her?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am happy it seems to be ok with no sign of cancer...you don't want to go through that for sure. Just make sure you keep a close eye on it...these things can change so quickly.

BTW she is so beautiful....I adore amazons big time and miss mine that passed away five years ago....Betty reminds me of Max:)

Last edited:

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Birdlady...Yes it was a relief....We are keeping an eye on her very closely.....

Oh Betty she is a cutie but a little squart......To be the smallest in the house she is the loudest and the one that makes the biggest mess.....but we still LOVE her...:)

Green45Eyes

Meeting neighbors
Dotty we thought she was laying an egg....she has never done this so one day she flew over hubby's head and he said look....so we called the vet and took her in and that is how we found all of this out. The vet put her to sleep to take an x-ray and he found nothing but a cyst so he tapped it right there....and the same night we saw a grape sie ball again and then 3 weeks later she was having trouble breathing and we took her back and this time he did not put her to sleep he already knew that it was not in her stomach area so he tapped her while she was awake and this time he took out double what he took out the first time.....it has been a week now and no signs of anything yet.....she will not clean up the area and she will not let us give her a bath yet....BUT she is back to her normal eating and cranky self......:)

We are just aking one day at a time now......

Thanks for asking.....:)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.