• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flowers

RatKave

Strolling the yard
I have been giving my birds dandelion leaves and dandelion flowers throughout the year, and I heard they can eat marigold flowers. I want to get them some seed(I would be growing seeds and feeding the flower to the birds.), but I've seen that the pesticides in the soil get stored in the seed and can kill the bird. Does anyone buy flowers or seeds for their bird, and where to you get them? And can pesticides stay in the seeds and kill the bird? If they are safe I would be getting mckenzie or aerogarden seeds and growing them indoors in either an aerogarden or potting soil. Or I will find a site to buy seeds off of.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have been giving my birds dandelion leaves and dandelion flowers throughout the year, and I heard they can eat marigold flowers. I want to get them some seed(I would be growing seeds and feeding the flower to the birds.), but I've seen that the pesticides in the soil get stored in the seed and can kill the bird. Does anyone buy flowers or seeds for their bird, and where to you get them? And can pesticides stay in the seeds and kill the bird? If they are safe I would be getting mckenzie or aerogarden seeds and growing them indoors in either an aerogarden or potting soil. Or I will find a site to buy seeds off of.
Great topic and question! I've heard of many pesticide impregnated seeds..
I'm not knowing enough on the topic .
Perhaps finding heirloom seeds?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
here's some good companies I've used
Flower Seed - Certified Organic Non-GMO Seed from High Mowing Organic Seeds
and this organics section Organic Seeds & Plants | Johnny's Selected Seeds
FYI you can also feed organically grown flowers of nasturtuim, pansy/violet, mint
If you google edible flowers there are lots of lists. I do caution you never to feed poppies or other toxic flowers mentioned in this list, it is an extensive list of edibles, nonedibles and an amazing comprehensive chart at the bottom. This is for humans so use some judgement for birds and avoid any allium/onion products , check individual kinds for bird safety.
Edible Flowers Guide | Thompson & Morgan
Happy growing!

Last edited:

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Great topic and question! I've heard of many pesticide impregnated seeds..
I'm not knowing enough on the topic .
Perhaps finding heirloom seeds?
I'll look thank you!

here's some good companies I've used
Flower Seed - Certified Organic Non-GMO Seed from High Mowing Organic Seeds
and this organics section Organic Seeds & Plants | Johnny's Selected Seeds
FYI you can also feed organically grown flowers of nasturtuim, pansy/violet, mint
If you google edible flowers there are lots of lists. I do caution you never to feed poppies or other toxic flowers mentioned in this list, it is an extensive list of edibles, nonedibles and an amazing comprehensive chart at the bottom. This is for humans so use some judgement for birds and avoid any allium/onion products , check individual kinds for bird safety.
Edible Flowers Guide | Thompson & Morgan
Happy growing!
Do you have any flower recommendations?
Thank you for the links.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
@fashionfobie feeds flowers to her Pi, I think she gets organic flowers meant for humans.
I feed some flowers from our garden, generally from the native trees.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
@fashionfobie feeds flowers to her Pi, I think she gets organic flowers meant for humans.
I feed some flowers from our garden, generally from the native trees.
Okay. Thank you!

What about culinary seeds? Could I purchase something like fennel seeds meant for cooking to grow?

So far I have: Rosemary, broccoli, dill, fennel and mint. Maybe Quinoa.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes I buy edible flowers at the organic market or in the organic section of the grocery. I only use food quality. I also grow some flower in a pot that I can harvest for him. Nasturtium flower are a great grow from home option :)

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
If you want to be safe as possible, you can grow the plants in Eco Earth, also known as Coconut Coir. It's shredded coconut but holds moisture really well and is able to have stuff grown in it. You can usually find it in the reptile section of stores.
A safe fertiliser is worm castings.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Yes I buy edible flowers at the organic market or in the organic section of the grocery. I only use food quality. I also grow some flower in a pot that I can harvest for him. Nasturtium flower are a great grow from home option :)
Okay. I don't know if there are any edible flowers at my stores, but I will definitely look.

If you want to be safe as possible, you can grow the plants in Eco Earth, also known as Coconut Coir. It's shredded coconut but holds moisture really well and is able to have stuff grown in it. You can usually find it in the reptile section of stores.
A safe fertiliser is worm castings.
I was actually looking into that so I can just stick the plant in the cage and they can have fun. Thank you for the fertilizer idea.