• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flowers what are safe

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
20201122_152557.jpg
Madeleine loves eating flowers but I'm wondering if her love is safe...she has lavender and just starting eating roses. She has lavender most days, the roses are a new thing. Today she slept a lot and had bad balance, she fine now but I'm wondering if it could of been the roses that effected her. Thought? Advice please....

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

There are many safe options.

Though I suggest trying to grow your own so you know they are pesticide free or buy them from a grocery store. I wouldn't buy from a flower boutique.

If you want to grow some try Nasturtiums. They are fully edible for humans and birds. They are also easy to grow!

P.s. I have a parrot that requires flowers in his diet. So if I don't have any ready in the garden I can buy a package of edible flowers at my grocery.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Buying them in the food part of the store (and not the florist shop, which is a common part of grocery stores in some countries) is important.
Roses especially often have a high pesticide burden. When possible, growing your own flowers is often the best way to go. Even a medium sized pot of dirt on a balcony can grow a surprising amount of flowers and herbs (another fun additon to your parrot's diet).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Rose petals are safe. I know my friends lovies seems to enjoy a little munch on her roses :lol: She grows them in the garden.
I don´t know about the lavender though.

I´m not sure how much to include in the diet, or how many days or to offer them as treats. Maybe you could trick her with some green carrot tops etc?

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
Buying them in the food part of the store (and not the florist shop, which is a common part of grocery stores in some countries) is important.
Roses especially often have a high pesticide burden. When possible, growing your own flowers is often the best way to go. Even a medium sized pot of dirt on a balcony can grow a surprising amount of flowers and herbs (another fun additon to your parrot's diet).
The roses are out of my garden and are totally natural with no spray of an kind used on them

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Maybe you could trick her with some green carrot tops etc?
That is a great idea!

Sometimes the organic market near me also sells zucchini flowers. Think outside the box, and be aware of the risk of pesticides. :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The roses are out of my garden and are totally natural with no spray of an kind used on them

Oh great! If you have a garden I highly suggest getting a pot for nasturtiums. They are colorful tasty and grow rapidly. :D

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I have lavender and nasturtiums in my parakeet aviary, along with other edible and bird safe plants.

20200614_192720.jpg

Nasturtiums are VERY easy to grow from seed and they will happily re-seed, if given the chance. The flowers are edible for people too! They have a peppery herbal taste and can be added to salads for a colorful and flavorful kick.

20200705_172653.jpg

The parakeets didn't eat the flowers, as far as I noticed, but they provided some nice color to the aviary and ground cover for my button quail.