• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Hi guys, so i recently discovered healthy muffins for birds so i looked up on YouTube for a few recipes since birdzone (where i found the muffins) doesnt ship to my area. So i found a video on youtube with several healthy ingredients for birds to eat and the start of the ingredients was flour but he said that these muffins were very healthy. Other ingredients were like rasins, carrots, pears, peices of millet, seed. Im not going to feed my cockatiel muffins every day just like once a month as a treat. But before i start is flour OK for birds like cockatiels to eat? Note: he said his birds loved the muffins he fed them to his lovebird and his parakeet. Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it depends on the type of flour you use. "Fortified" white flour has iron, etc. added to it. And too much iron isn't good for a cockatiel. So if you're using a "healthy" flour, I think it's fine. I used to make a birdie bread for my tiel using organic oats instead of flour.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
Is all purpose flour the healthy flour? If it's not is all purpose flour ok to use for cockatiels? I also have oats buf they are vanilla flavored. Is that still ok to use? :budgie3::mil::m2::scarlet::tiel4::tieln::tiel::tiel3::umbrella2::tiel5:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I prefer to use flours like almond flour, spelt, amaranth, etc. Or use ground up pellets. You can also use Harrison's Bird Bread and bake as muffins.

Simple flours are largely empty calories and convert to sugar in the body.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
I dont really know what ingredients to use in this video and what ingredients to leave out. But here is the link

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks pretty good! Whole wheat flour isn't the worst thing, but again it would be better to use a lower glycemic flour like the ones I mentioned, or turn your pellets into powder to use as a flour. You'd be okay to use this as a treat. I'd probably sub the oil for coconut oil as it's much healthier.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Corn muffins!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is all purpose flour the healthy flour? If it's not is all purpose flour ok to use for cockatiels? I also have oats buf they are vanilla flavored. Is that still ok to use? :budgie3::mil::m2::scarlet::tiel4::tieln::tiel::tiel3::umbrella2::tiel5:
I wouldn't use flavored oats- they're usually high in sugar, etc.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator