• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Florida Leg Band

Clynne

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
I recently adopted a severe macaw, named Ezra. I was told that he's about 10 years old, but judging by the leg band he had on, I'm guessing that he's actually closer to 19 years old. There is an 04 on the band, that I'm assuming is his hatch year, but I could be wrong. Can someone please help me figure out which breeder he came from? He's originally from Florida, and his band reads FL LFC 04 1225

I know that it's a shot in the dark trying to figure out where he's from, and I have looked through the links sited on here, as well, trying to see if I can find a match. The only close thing I've found on here is LC Farms, Christine Cerasi, Florida. That may or may not be where he's from, but even then, I haven't been able to find any information about that specific aviary/breeder.

Any help is greatly appreciated

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Though there are no set standards for what is put on leg bands in the U.S., it is fairly common to put the hatch date on them. You may be right about Ezra's age. My guess is that Ezra is a Christmas baby, hatched on 12/25/04. Of course I could be completely wrong.

Clynne

Meeting neighbors
Though there are no set standards for what is put on leg bands in the U.S., it is fairly common to put the hatch date on them. You may be right about Ezra's age. My guess is that Ezra is a Christmas baby, hatched on 12/25/04. Of course I could be completely wrong.
Thanks for the reply! That would be pretty neat if you're right! A little Christmas birb ❤

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
QP Ralph also came from Florida and his leg band is somewhat similar. His reads FL 09 1001 VA. The VA stands for Voren Aviaries and according to his hatch certificate, Ralph was hatched on October 1, 2009. My interpretation of Ezra's band is mostly based on that.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The chances of that are very slim. As there is no way to know the exact day that your birds will lay their eggs, let alone when they will hatch to the day, and the fact that they have to be closed banded by a certain age, not to mention that a breeder must order bands in batches all with the same information, it is highly unlikely that there would be any breeders who would spend the money to buy a batch of leg bands for every day of the year in every size that they need for all of their species. And yes, I am aware that it would not be everyday as most species have times of the year that they tend to lay if they will, however some species, such as cockatiels, are indiscriminate when it comes to when they breed.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I guess it was just a coincidence that the breeder had a leg band that matched Ralph's hatchday.

Clynne

Meeting neighbors
I guess it was just a coincidence that the breeder had a leg band that matched Ralph's hatchday.
That is really neat that it worked out that way for you with Ralph's hatch day though, whether it was a coincidence or not! Maybe I will go ahead and use Christmas to celebrate Ezra's hatch day, since I don't really have any way of knowing for certain at this point anyway.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I've since discussed leg bands with an acquaintance who used to breed macaws. He said that some breeders buy a supply of blank bands and have a device to either stamp or engrave them however they choose. He said that he used to do that and would stamp the bands with the macaws' hatchdates. So maybe it isn't a coincidence after all. :D

Clynne

Meeting neighbors
I've since discussed leg bands with an acquaintance who used to breed macaws. He said that some breeders buy a supply of blank bands and have a device to either stamp or engrave them however they choose. He said that he used to do that and would stamp the bands with the macaws' hatchdates. So maybe it isn't a coincidence after all. :D
That is very interesting! And it's such a clever, convenient idea! I wonder if Ezra IS a Christmas baby after all!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know a quaker/conure breeder is SC who does this - He's got some sort of stamp he can use for the band to put the hatch date on