• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Suit training

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Hey all - I've been trying to train Kyra to use a flight suit and save my upper cabinets (omg the poopppp, they're a fav perch for her, D'OH!). I've tried what is suggested to get her used to it. I've tried putting it on her. She rolls over and repeated bites the suit. She's pretty much scared of everything until she's not (if that makes sense). Any advice on how to get her to accept the suit?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Instead of trying to get her to put on the suit, have you considered finding a way to get her out of the habit of going onto unwanted places? Like using tin foil so she doesn't want to go on there and finding her a playstand?

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Have you tried target training? It's an incredibly time consuming process but it's how I would do it, as it's respectful to the bird and isn't forcing the suit onto them. Basically, each time you expose the bird to the suit, you push them past their comfort level a tiny bit (e.g. just have them sit with the suit nearby without flying away; once they're OK with that, at the next training session, move it closer; continue moving it closer each session until it's eventually touching them; gradually get them used to having more and more of the suit touching/covering them).

Otherwise, FeatheredM's suggestion is what I'd do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No advice for getting the suit on your bird I’m sorry.
I’d personally just cover the cupboards with something easy to replace or clean and let the bird be as natural as possible- I’m not a fan of flight suits at all

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Yeah, I'm not a fan either but my husband really wants her to stop the poo on the cupboards. I let her free fly all over our main floor. I honestly never thought of putting something ON the cupboards to stop her landing or to keep them safe. Feel super stupid for not thinking of that! She loves to land on my curtains and climb them - I'm fine with that, curtains are washable. I've made her a hanging play area, but she's still too scared of it. She has a TON of toys in and around her cage...but she's a brat LOL and will go everywhere but. I do leave the suit where she can see it, but I feel like the suit is a no-go for her. She doesn't mind wearing a harness once she knows she's going outside, but that suit is just too much I think.

I've not used target training with her yet. She's been through a few homes and came back to me last year. She has stopped being nippy (YAY!), and the more comfortable she gets, the more I'm introducing training techniques with her. I like clicker training, and plan on introducing the clicker to her in the next bit. She's definitely bonded to me now, I've been working on her recall more than anything else up till now.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Totally agree that flight suits aren't great (I should have added that to my original message). Changing the home environment is the best way to address issues like this.

It sounds like she's made wonderful progress with you. Hopefully, in time, she'll come around to her toys and designated play areas.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Totally agree that flight suits aren't great (I should have added that to my original message). Changing the home environment is the best way to address issues like this.

It sounds like she's made wonderful progress with you. Hopefully, in time, she'll come around to her toys and designated play areas.
She really has! She went from nipping every time I put my hand near her, to begging for scritches! I'm taking it slow with her as that seems to be her pace.

I will work with her more on appropriate play spaces. She's just started going after paper and boxes that are close to the floor, so I'm having to pick things up faster (lol oh my, outing my poor housekeeping skills). I don't worry too much as she's only out when I am home.